Local Docker Setup Issue - Can't See Local Site

I’m trying to do my first Docker and Digital Ocean setup, believing it would be nice and easy, but it isn’t turning out to be like that… :frowning:

The First Issue is seeing my site locally…

1. Local Docker Machine

So I have a local docker machine up and running. Wappler can talk to it. I have an index.php file created. However when I visit localhost:8100 then the site can’t be reached:

forbidden

Docker Desktop says everything is running:

php1

Wappler says it has deployed to it:

( But if I go to the Web Server and do an ls, nothing is listed:)

php3

Can anyone help me find a solution?

Thanks!
Antony.

So I’ve found the solution.

The site isn’t on localhost:8100 at all

The Wappler documentation says it should be:

The Docker Desktop implies it should be:

dd8100

But finally, after hours of wasted time, I clicked on the Open in Browser button in Wappler:

open

And my site popped up here:

The site is at localhost:12345 !!!

But I am still confused… because if I go just to localhost:12345, I get an error:

12345n

Which implies that something isn’t recognising that directory as somewhere to go and find a file called index.php.

(However going to the remote location and typing just the IP address does work).

@teodor, please can the documentation be updated when a change like this is made?

Antony,

Localhost:8100 is perfectly working you probably messed up the projects settings and selected different main server model then the one per target.

It might be a good idea to make a clean new project and not one that you have experimented with a lot of different server models.

Thanks @George

I really appreciate receiving a reply on a Sunday morning in the Christmas holidays!

I did start a new project for this one having messed around a bit before… here are the settings… do these look correct for you?

Are you saying even if these look okay then I should just start a new project anyway?

settings

Yes but there is also a main server model setting on the general project options.

Here they are!

Looks fine and your directory structure and routing?

Do you mean these?

directory

routes

Oh and FYI, am using 3.5.5…

So what happens when you select the development target and hit deploy?

This:

running

and this:

and this:

forb

and this:

index

I’m probably doing something really stupid, but I’m new to Docker!

Could it be something to do with the fact that I’ve been using WAMP locally?

It is stopped, but could it be that WAMP is still getting in the way?

wamp

The messages I just posted are from Apache (Debian)… so is this from WAMP rather than Docker?

I don’t want to remove WAMP as all my local development is happening under it at the moment, and using Docker is just an experiment to understand it and see if moving to Docker is a good idea.

Have you enabled the file sharing in docker desktop whenever asked you to access your drive?

You can still do that in your docker desktop settings.

See:

It is even better to run docker in the latest WSL2 mode if you are on the latest windows 10. Then it runs more smoothly and file sharing is automatic.

aaaahhh… yes, some little popup kept arising which didn’t make much sense… I’ve just found it and it didn’t allow me to do anything sensible… I’ve googled about how to enable file sharing and the options that are discussed don’t appear in my Docker Desktop settings.

Digging around a bit, could this be to do with this WSL2 thing? In my Docker Desktop settings, I have these entries:

and

Yes seems your docker WSL2 is not fully installed.

See how to enable it fully:

George, I’ve just read this, and doing it is massively complicated!

Did I select something wrong when I installed Docker Desktop?

Surely in the modern age I don’t install a piece of software and then have to jump through long list of complex command line hoops to make its basic functions work?

Can I just run with WSL version 1 on Windows?

Here is one part of the installation process!

Manual Installation Steps

If you are not on a Windows Insiders build, the features required for WSL will need to be enabled manually following the steps below.
Step 1 - Enable the Windows Subsystem for Linux

You must first enable the "Windows Subsystem for Linux" optional feature before installing any Linux distributions on Windows.

Open PowerShell as Administrator and run:
PowerShell

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux /all /norestart

We recommend now moving on to step #2, updating to WSL 2, but if you wish to only install WSL 1, you can now restart your machine and move on to Step 6 - Install your Linux distribution of choice. To update to WSL 2, wait to restart your machine and move on to the next step.
Step 2 - Update to WSL 2

To update to WSL 2, you must be running Windows 10.
Requirements

For x64 systems: Version 1903 or higher, with Build 18362 or higher.
    For ARM64 systems: Version 2004 or higher, with Build 19041 or higher.
    Builds lower than 18362 do not support WSL 2. Use the Windows Update Assistant to update your version of Windows.

To check your version and build number, select Windows logo key + R, type winver, select OK. (Or enter the ver command in Windows Command Prompt). Update to the latest Windows version in the Settings menu.

Note

If you are running Windows 10 version 1903 or 1909, open "Settings" from your Windows menu, navigate to "Update & Security" and select "Check for Updates". Your Build number must be 18362.1049+ or 18363.1049+, with the minor build # over .1049. Read more: WSL 2 Support is coming to Windows 10 Versions 1903 and 1909. See the troubleshooting instructions.
Step 3 - Enable Virtual Machine feature

Before installing WSL 2, you must enable the Virtual Machine Platform optional feature.

Open PowerShell as Administrator and run:
PowerShell

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:VirtualMachinePlatform /all /norestart

Restart your machine to complete the WSL install and update to WSL 2.
Step 4 - Download the Linux kernel update package

Download the latest package:
        WSL2 Linux kernel update package for x64 machines

Note

If you're using an ARM64 machine, please download the ARM64 package instead. If you're not sure what kind of machine you have, open Command Prompt or PowerShell and enter: systeminfo | find "System Type".

Run the update package downloaded in the previous step. (Double-click to run - you will be prompted for elevated permissions, select ‘yes’ to approve this installation.)

Once the installation is complete, move on to the next step - setting WSL 2 as your default version when installing new Linux distributions. (Skip this step if you want your new Linux installs to be set to WSL 1).

Note

For more information, read the article changes to updating the WSL2 Linux kernel, available on the Windows Command Line Blog.
Step 5 - Set WSL 2 as your default version

Open PowerShell and run this command to set WSL 2 as the default version when installing a new Linux distribution:
PowerShell

wsl --set-default-version 2

Note

The update from WSL 1 to WSL 2 may take several minutes to complete depending on the size of your targeted distribution. If you are running an older (legacy) installation of WSL 1 from Windows 10 Anniversary Update or Creators Update, you may encounter an update error. Follow these instructions to uninstall and remove any legacy distributions.

If wsl --set-default-version results as an invalid command, enter wsl --help. If the --set-default-version is not listed, it means that your OS doesn't support it and you need to update to version 1903, Build 18362 or higher.

If you see this message after running the command: WSL 2 requires an update to its kernel component. For information please visit https://aka.ms/wsl2kernel. You still need to install the MSI Linux kernel update package.
Step 6 - Install your Linux distribution of choice

Open the Microsoft Store and select your favorite Linux distribution.

View of Linux distributions in the Microsoft Store

The following links will open the Microsoft store page for each distribution:
        Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
        Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
        Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
        openSUSE Leap 15.1
        SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP5
        SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15 SP1
        Kali Linux
        Debian GNU/Linux
        Fedora Remix for WSL
        Pengwin
        Pengwin Enterprise
        Alpine WSL

From the distribution's page, select "Get".

Linux distributions in the Microsoft store

The first time you launch a newly installed Linux distribution, a console window will open and you'll be asked to wait for a minute or two for files to de-compress and be stored on your PC. All future launches should take less than a second.

You will then need to create a user account and password for your new Linux distribution.

Ubuntu unpacking in the Windows console

CONGRATULATIONS! You've successfully installed and set up a Linux distribution that is completely integrated with your Windows operating system!

Or… can I stick with my WAMP installation locally and just use Docker remotely? :thinking:

You need docker running locally - normally it installs out of the box…

Just the WSL2 enabling under windows is two commands more.

Maybe you need more easier tutorial: