Just noticed the update notification icon

2021-09-03_15-43-08

Nice touch for the update notification! Is this new or am I just buffering again?

ringringbrrrrrmmaahhhbeeehhh

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes it is new :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes. I noticed that today as well. It is indeed a nice little update. :smile:

However the ā€˜Check for updatesā€™ is missing.

Edit: Oh I see, that icon only shows up if there is an update. Thatā€™s cool.

I like it too. The old way could kind of get annoying.

Just used the new update icon on Windows. It does not show what version is being downloaded, and what is the progress percentage anymore. Just this progress bar on the icon as shown above. Really bad UX. :frowning:
@George Is this still a work in progress?

1 Like

I donā€™t mind it. The old way didnā€™t show what version was being downloaded either. I think this gives a good visual indicator to users that donā€™t visit the forums everyday like some of us that there is an update. I actually prefer the progress bar on the icon. Itā€™s always shown.

I admit it did take me a couple clicks on the icon to realize that it was actually doing something and noticed the progress bars.

What I am curious about though is when does the icon appear? Will it just magically appear when I am working or does it check for updates when Wappler starts. If itā€™s the latter, users may not know there is an update for several days if they donā€™t quit Wappler every time.

Electron is great for updates as can push a notification direct to the Platform users application. So should appear any time the version number is changed/increased @brad

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Then it makes total sense to do this. No more spamming the check for updates button every few minutes on Thursday mornings.:smile:

3 Likes

It did. In the update is available notification.
And when download was opted, it showed progress in similar notification.

I do like the progress indicator in icon, but its not enough in current state.

On click of the update icon, there is a confirmation pop up, which should mention the version being updated to. And the icon could be replaced with download percentage.
When download completes, this percent could be replaced with ā€œrestart to updateā€ button.
The progress bar icon could be made better with percentage in windowā€™s title on hover of icon as well.

2 Likes

Yep, I like the new icon but it does need a way to show progress. I clicked but had no way of knowing anything was happening. I ended up clicking three or four times and then just had to assume it was doing something. It was because I then had the notification to install.

Iā€™m on latest MacOS.

1 Like

Totally agree. I clicked, agreed that it would restart and then wondered if it had worked for a couple of minutes. I eventually saw the progress bar under the Dock icon (Mac) but itā€™s not obvious if your dock is set to hide - is there a spinner you can add where the update icon is in the UI, just to show itā€™s running?

We will make some improvements to the update process based on the feedback here, so post any ideas that you have that could improve it. Some of the improvements will be visible after the next update, so for the upcoming update you will see the old behavior.

Issues that weā€™re working on:

• Can not see which version is being installed
  • No feedback (progress) when it is downloading/installing

The current update progress is shown in the app icon, it shows the progress of the download and will start the installing directly after it was downloaded. Also the icon in the dock shows a tooltip when hovering it showing if an update is available, if it is installing the update. Problem is that you have to hover it to see it, this should indeed be improved. We will also improve the tooltip for when an update is available to show the version number of the update.

Updated tooltip text:

Current tooltip only shows Install Update. With the update icon in the titlebar we could probably also show the text next to the icon instead of the toolbar, will share some screenshots later for feedback.

2 Likes

With a label next to the icon:

Possible different labels: Update to Wappler 4.0.3 or Install Update 4.0.3.

Which one do you prefer?

3 Likes

Got my vote, concise.

5 Likes

I would prefer Download 4.0.3.
Also, about the restarting mechanism, its only a matter or tine before someone complains that they were working and suddenly Wappler restarted - similar to numerous Windows 10 complains.
While downloading it could show the progress % along side the cool new progress indicator in taskbar/dock.
After update is download, the icon should say Install 4.0.3 and click of this guy the reboot prompt could be shown.

This will be direct replication of previous notification base method where there was a download prompt and then an install prompt.

1 Like

My ideal scenario would be for the download to happen in the background automatically as soon as an update is available but the installation and re-loading would be after clicking something to make it happen.

Iā€™d like to be notified that an update is ready to be installed (itā€™s already downloaded it in the background), click the icon/button if Iā€™m ready to install it, see a percentage bar as it installs and then exit and restart automatically once completed.

That sounds cool too.
To be honest, when I first notices the update icon, I though the update has already been downloaded.

The install doesnā€™t really have a progress, it just starts the installer on Windows and Linux. On MacOS it works a bit different, not sure if we could implement some progress there.

We have the download and install in a single step, the download around 150MB which shouldnā€™t take that long to download on most internet connections. We could do it in 2 steps so that you have a bit more time to keep working in Wappler while the update is downloading.

In the current situation the editor closes very late, after the download finished and the setup starts. There is no feedback, you get a warning when clicking the update icon that Wappler will close/restart, but it takes a while until it does so and you can keep working. The shutdown then comes very unexpected.

We will change this behavior and close the editor directly when you want to install the update. Depending on how we implement the download you will then get a new dialog which will show the progress of the update.

2 Likes

I guess the main thing to improve is the lack of feedback while installing. Even a spinner at the top-right to indicate something is happening would help. But an alert when itā€™s about to quit would be vital if youā€™re still working while itā€™s downloading.