Join Results of 2 Data Collections

Great feature indeed.

So, I was just checking this out and wanted to do a Dynamic Paging with it, but I didn’t dig deep in the forum search yet to see if anyone had talked about it yet so forgive me if it was already covered.

But how would one go about making the “Join Results of 2 Data Collections” work with the Bootstrap 4 Paging Generator.

As it Stands right now the “Join:set” does not return a Offset, Limit, Sort and Direction to apply Dynamic Paging.

( Wappler Documentation - Applying Dynamic Paging)

if one wants to list just a few record details from the join tables in a table repeat on a backend page for CMS users to skip through.

What I tried so far:

1. I turned two regular query, “Query Type” from Multiple Records into a Paged Records to try and get the Get values for Offset, Limit, Sort and Direction but that didn’t work because on the client side the “Join:set” data didn’t show up in my table repeat after I did that change, likewise for the dynamic paging there is no query with the Get values holding (Offset, Limit, Sort and Direction) to pick from.

2. I even try tried apply the Get value manually from the good old Get variable inside the “Input” so the Offset would show in the server connect parameter but that didn’t work because I still wasn’t able to pick it up from the Dynamic Paging “Data Source”

If this is not something that dynamic paging was meant to work with then I will just default to my old ways of regular table “Inner Joint.”

let me know. I am tagging these guys below as well just incase they ran into this later as well.
@psweb @mebeingken @Teodor @max_gb @ben

The paging generator expects you to use a paged query.
If you can use table joins in the query builder, then just use table joins. This feature is for a bit more different situation, where for example you are using two different sources (not necessarily db tables from the same database).

Good to know. I will delete the regular queries and start with paging query and see how it goes. Thanks @Teodor for the quick reply.

I’m beginning to realise the huge potential for this feature. What’s the performance impact? Is it going to require a lot of processing if you build it up using many different sources?

There is no performance impact, actually you might even gain performance if you filter data.

Just note that each data transformation ste duplicates the data and then manipulates it.

So if you have like 1 million records and do a couple of transforms, then you might need more memory.

But other than that you will probably don’t notice any difference in performance.

1 Like

That’s great to know. It would still be better to do joins in queries if everything is coming from the same database, though?

Yes of course as then the database will do the heavy lifting that it is optimized to do

2 Likes

Hi,
Is possible to apply condition in the JOIN Transformation?, I mean, if apply a WHERE condition in query of Collection 2 it doesn’t affect the generate table in UI because the condition only apply to the query of one collection and not to the entire JOIN with both collections.

1 Like