Is Your App Hosted on AWS?

After a lot of research, I think I will go to production in spring time on AWS Elastic Beanstalk.

I’d be interested to be in contact with any other Wapplers who also use that environment!

Best wishes,
Antony.

Hi Antony, I’ve used AWS in the past but not for a Wappler project (yet). The last time I used Elastic Beanstalk I remember that the deployments were slow, in some cases several hours.

My advice would be to start out with your project in a docker container and outsource storage with an S3-compatible provider (AWS S3, DigitalOcean Spaces, Backblaze B2, Wasabi) if you are storing a large amount of static content.

I would choose a cheap VPS ($5/$10 per month) to start and as you grow you can resize your VPS. AWS is generally more expensive than a provider such as Digital Ocean.

If you’re using docker then when you reach 1000+ active users, it should make moving to a different server or provider a lot simpler.

1 Like

Hey @max_gb, thanks for your input!

The hosting world is a new place for me, and there seems to be sooo much to learn. I was looking at AWS as it provides all the features I need in the long term with a graphical interface, so I won’t be needing to ssh into my VPS/Docker world and do loads of command line installation procedures that I’m not so familiar with. It seems like all the docker videos I have watched have an environment setup and management which is full of that kind of thing… unless I’m just watching the wrong videos!

Are you familiar with a Docker environment that can be configured through menu options?

Also I want to set up the production environment with low costs while in development, and I get a year free with AWS whereas the cheapest VPS with DO seems to be 40$/month (unless I am missing something).

Interesting to hear your experiences with AWS though!

Best wishes,
Antony.

PS - where are you based in _gb?

Hey Antony, I’m from sunny Sussex.

The team has just released Firebase hosting as an experimental feature which you could take a look at. I believe this will make it far easier for users with little-to no experience with web hosting and server admin tasks. I have only used parts of the Firebase tools in the past such as Authentication. I have yet to use their hosting but I was put off by mixed reviews and major outages!

You can manage your Docker environment through the GUI (either Docker desktop or Portainer).

A VPS really isn’t too difficult to manage, once it’s setup correctly it’s just a case of logging in once in a while to apply any updates or patches. You can use services such as ServerPilot, Laravel Forge and Runcloud to setup and manage your VPS for you. I used to use ServerPilot and DigitalOcean together for speed.

The cheapest VPS is $5, I’m not sure where you found $40 from?

1 Like