Intelligent Tracking Prevention with Wappler mobile apps

Okay all you mobile Devs – what the heck is going to happen to Wappler/Cordova apps using cookie based auth control with Apple’s release of Intelligent Tracking Prevention (defaulting to On) ?

Apparently the Cordova community is already thinking about solving this problem: https://github.com/apache/cordova-ios/issues/922

1 Like

That’s kinda my concern. :slight_smile: That was posted in June but iOS 14 is already out.

Wondering if there is anything Wappler can do to mitigate since I’m relying on the Security Provider.

I certainly won’t be surprised at anything. If suddenly Wappler learn to soften this moment, because the Wappler team are real virtuosos who can control everything. :slightly_smiling_face:

But here we are still talking about the Cordova side, so the solution is likely to be found there.

Currently, ios users are having problems with your app in terms of resetting their account?

Just trying to get ahead of this one as it looks like it will bring an app with cookie authentication to its knees.

Oh boy this looks pretty serious if iOS 14 blocks all cookies.

This means going back to the ‘90s where we used to pass all cookies url query params to all urls… but it is pretty ancient and cumbersome way.

Hope the guys at Cordova find something sooner.

The ionic capacitor is btw going really fast lately and probably will replace Cordova soon, so they might have a solution already.

1 Like

I don’t think it blocks all cookies, by default. But it does seem to say it blocks 3rd party cookies.

I think it is confusing lots of people right now:

Compounded by a bug that doesn’t actually implement things properly according to this post: https://www.simoahava.com/privacy/intelligent-tracking-prevention-ios-14-ipados-14-safari-14/

Bug note from the post:
Note! At the time of writing, there seems to be a bug with the implementation across iOS browsers, and not all these mechanisms are in effect even if the “Allow Cross-Website Tracking” toggle is left to its default position of OFF.

There is also discussions about cookies written via javascript having a max life of 7 days. I’ve also read this applies to local storage.

Don’t take ANY of what I have written as fact – it seems all conjecture at this point, but something we’ll need to watch closely. And as of writing this post, my app login still works using ios 14.