If a solution is given... Should be tagged as solution

Hey Guys,

I am using wappler for about 6 months and from my point of view or way of understanding things, I suppose that whenever a solution is given in a post then the poster should tag it as SOLUTION…
It helps new users like me while searching for an answer in a problem when I see the solution is clear…
Instead of this I see answers like: “Thanks, I will check it later…” , BUT NEVER RESPOND or tag the given answer as SOLUTION so we all know that it worked…
It’s something small but makes the difference without a cost.

That’s all… It’s been a while that I would like to mention this.

3 Likes

Yes i agree.
Another thing that’s not really helpful is not writing quality bug reports, but saying “it doesn’t work”, but i guess we are used to asking all the questions after such a bug report is posted. Yes it will save us both (user and team) time but … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know what you mean brother… I agree.
But I think that old users always start with details on what they work on (what, why, when etc) and they are an example for the rest of us…
I suppose it is a matter of getting used to it and of course being able to understand that when we ask something we must give to others to understand what happens, when it happens etc…

2 Likes

I also which people would do that. Sometimes I post some fixes in the forum for testing and wait for a response, I often wait with releasing or committing my changes until I have an approval that it works. When no response is coming then sometimes fixes don’t get released.

3 Likes

Ouch!

OF COURSE… When you don;t have a feedback if the road you are on is not taking you to right place is like driving in the middle of the night on huge desert.

There’s another problem, some people post in Wappler General instead of Wappler How To, so it’s not possible to mark a solution. @Teodor changed the description of the How To category, but it failed the UX test, people still post to Wappler General

1 Like

I’ve just realised that Wappler general doesn’t give the option to tag SOLUTION…
I’ll keep this in mind @Apple

1 Like

Categories with the solutions available are How To, and Bug categories.

3 Likes

I never knew that @Teodor!
Sometimes I’ve gone to mark as the solution and not found the check box…

1 Like

Well that’s the most logical thing to do in the forum - you ask a question/how to do something in the How To category, you receive a reply - you mark this as a solution.
You report a bug in the Bugs categories, you receive a fix, you can mark it as a solution.

1 Like

I have a question about this.

I’ve recently posted a problem I’ve got.
I don’t need an answer on 'how to do this"
Also it’s not a bug (maybe yes).
I’ve seen a lot of topics wich are not a bug.

Resolving a problem and guiding someone to achieve a result I think are two diferent things. (How can i do this?/How can i resolve this?)
Maybe I’m wrong.

For example:

Should I post that as a bug?
I may need someone guiding me step by step on "how can I do this without having a problem?
Maybe we need a new category where I can post “I have a problem with security provider” and that can have a solution…

1 Like

Unfortunately, this is now how many people perceive the “How To” category.

“How To” is perceived as a category containing tutorials. Only the category description attempts to correct this thought, and who knows how many times it succeeds :grimacing:

Ok then, what is your suggestion to improve this? Change the category name to “I have a question” / “I need help” or something similar?

1 Like

Solving a problem or asking for way to do something both have a solution my friend…

I suppose whenever we have a problem on something to report (not nesessery a bug) we should better post it on How to and afrerwards can be changed to whatever it should be…

I just checked the description of topics and I saw a new description that is clear… The last time I have checked the description was “here we post ways to do something”. (if I remember well)

Ok then, here’s my suggestion - we rename the current How To category to I Need Help and we create a Tips and Tricks category, where you can share tips, tricks and howtos. Is this making sense?

5 Likes

@franse @Antony

Sorry to ping you both, I don’t remember which one of you complained about this before. One of you had a topic open before?

What name do you suggest for the “How To” category, to make it clear it’s to ask questions?

Maybe my pick would be “Questions” or “Questions and Answers”. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Edit for Teodor: The description also needs to be short and concise. Avoid unnecessary “Welcome” which clutters the description, making it appear long, so people skip reading

For reference, current description is:

Welcome to the “How To” category in our Wappler community forum! Got any questions about using Wappler? Fire away! Our awesome community is here to help you out with anything you need to know.

2 Likes

It would be nice if it’s not complicated for you guys (team) to rename the topic title. As far for the tips and tricks I think is something that comes most of the times from the I need help topic… Not really important…

Absolutely agreed!!! A clear title and a short but to the point description

1 Like