Hyperlinks from bootstrap tables

@mikeRM
I’d suggest you going through the basics of dynamic attributes (i.e. working with html attributes and dynamic data):

So you can get the idea of the workflow and not just copy/paste code snippets around without understanding how they work.

As for DW - it’s already far far behind Wappler with its old and outdated technologies. With Wappler you can achieve really advanced and modern web apps, which is not possible with DW.
Just check the docs and video tutorials created by Brian and Ben so you can understand how the things work.

1 Like

That’s my hope with Wappler unfortunately at this point I am amazed at the level of complexity one has to go through to do the simplest of things.

Here it is day 2 and I still can’t get one stupid link made in a list - I know I’m dumb but I also know I’m not this stupid. I want to highlight something to use as a link, quickly select the page to link to and carry over one URL variable in the link that’s it - it it appears like I’m getting frustrated it’s because I am.

The purpose of using this type of application is make my life easier - with Wappler it’s just not happening yet.

Sorry, but i really don’t understand which part is hard to be done, after checking the tutorial i linked already. It literally takes like 10 seconds to achieve this:

3 Likes

Your gif is too fast can you put that is a movie file, the instructions look good just too fast to follow.

The pages with the instructions given before are for various types of linking and very confusing this gif looks a lot easier to follow if I can stop it when needed to follow.

My gif is repaeting what’s in the docs i linked above:

There is no such thing as a various type of linking. Dynamic links are just dynamic links, they work the same everywhere in Wappler - doesn’t matter if it is a regular link, a link in a table or an anchor button…

I have gone through this linked documentatio numerous times

Here’s what I want to do

link the first column to a edit page

Here is what I’m seeing in Wappler for the first column in the list

But that is exactly what is explained there, in the docs. I am not sure how more detailed and clear for you can the docs about dynamic attributes (incl. links) can be made.

If you could convert your gif demonstration to a movie file that would help a lot I think

Mike, really - my gif follows exactly this, step-by-step:

Just follow what is explained on that link, in the part which explains how to create a dynamic link.

So you can’t covert the gif to a movie file so I can stop it and follow it ?

We already spend a huge amount of time creating the docs, and the tutorial i sent shows exactly what the gif shows. Screenshot by screenshot, step by step.
We can’t convert every tutorial to a movie showing the same, just because you refuse to follow the docs which are already there.

When you start this gif your cell is already showing as a link how do you accomplish that and based on the Gif you basically have to select link again in the dynamic attributes it seems - do I have to be in Design mode to do all this ?

Open your dynamic table for editing. Set the binding type to inner so you can select it in Design View:

In design view, double click it and click the Make Link button in the floating toolbar:

Select the link which you just created and add the dynamic attribute as explained.

Ok by telling me to select the binding type as inner is what did the trick.

But that is the first time I had read or heard mention of doing that at all, it made all the difference.

One little piece of info solved the 2 day puzzle

Thanks

Here’s my 2 cents - the link itself when generated just does not look correct

<a href=**"#" dmx-bind:href="**Reunion_Edit?class_id={{class_id}}">{{class_id}}

Someone looking at this would say there are 2 href= statements being made

In order to generate this you need to do multiple different things, all of which involve the word “Link” It’s confusing and requires too many place to go to do it.

Here is what I would like to be able to do.

1. Select anything I want to make into a link
  2. Go to Dynamic Attributes or a Link Tool of some kind and click on “href value” find the page linking to and while doing that
  3. Click an icon then pops open a data binding window and allows me to attached both a variable url name and the dynamic values (would also like to be able create commonly use URL variables for reuse too)
  4. I would also like to add multiple url variables and dynamic values if I wished too.
    5 click ok and the link shows like this
<a href="Reunion_Edit?class_id={{class_id}}>{{class_id}}</a>

not like this

<a href="#" dmx-bind:href="Reunion_Edit?class_id={{class_id}}">{{class_id}}</a>

I guess what I’d like to see is the number of steps within Wappler for doing anything reduced to the lowest number possible .

Right now to do most things I am always thinking to myself - boy this has way to many steps to do that.

Mike,

The link looks correct and it should be generated exactly like this.

<a href="#" dmx-bind:href="Reunion_Edit?class_id={{class_id}}">{{class_id}} </a>

is exactly the right code for this. dmx-bind:href is required when using dynamic values.

I guess the issue is why should dmx-bind:href even be required and if is required why can’t it just be in the background we don’t see at all.

Because this is how the dynamic attributes work with the front-end js framework called App Connect.

dmx-bind: in front of an HTML attribute (href, id, title etc.) makes it dynamic.

href="" -> static link
dmx-bind:href="" -> dynamic link

Then it should be auto generated in one link step and not be required to be add by the user if its always needed to work in a js framework I would think.

That’s not true.
You may or may not need dynamic values with your links. In case of using static links you don’t need any dynamic attributes added.

Dynamic attributes (not only link bu any other dynamic attribute) ARE ONLY REQUIRED if you use dynamic data.

Plus, there is nothing to worry about as at the end it’s properly rendered in your browser, as you can see by inspecting the page, using the dev tools:

And by the way, if you are not familiar with javascript frameworks like angular or vue.js etc, they all work the same way adding arguments to the attributes to make them dynamic. It’s a standard thing with this types of coding: