How do you manage email servers with Docker/DO?

Hi,

I m trying to use Digital Ocean’s droplet with Docker for the first time.
I wish to ask you: in case of deployment of a website on a droplet, how do you manage the mail server? Do you use a separate email server or refer to a dedicated service?

Thank you for your suggestions

Roberto

We personally use Sendgrid. For now the SMTP credentials but will move to the API before go live. DO might have default SMTP credentials you can use but I’m not that familiar with the offering.

Yes sendgrid is very nice for transactional email. But to receive emails?

I found an article on DO telling it is better using outsourcing services for email management.

You can receive emails from Sendgrid, or even set a different reply to email - up to you. You will need a ‘client’ to receive those - so you could just setup a GSuite / Gmail account for that.

We have centralized GSuite emails that we send email into from various third parties like Sendgrid, Customer.io, Lemlist etc.

1 Like

I set up an account with https://mxroute.com/ so that I could get email set up etc without commuting to where I’ll be hosting my web app.

This keeps the email seperate. These guys seem really good, small company but focused just on email. Fast reliably and fairly cheap.

3 Likes

I have a question, does mxroute offer the service which allows webapp to send out email notifications to users? I checked your link, however, I could not find the article about it.

Thanks,

sorry not sure. Not something I’ve had to do. They have a fairly active forum though you could check on.

Thank you so much, I check forum.

If you’re using NodeJS then NodeMailer has a built in parser function. Although if you’re after something simpler then a third-party service is probably easier, something like CloudMailin could work.

Thank you so much. My env is DO/Docker and php. Do they fit with my env?