Hosting that seems to be too good to be true

Hey @brad, its been about a week and wanted to check in to see how things were going with this hosting. Interested to see if you have hit any snags, issues, bugs with using Node.js with them.

I haven’t had a chance to dive into Node.js yet as I have never done anything in Node.js yet. So I have a little learning to do. Hope to watch some videos this weekend.

But other than that, so far so good. The support is very quick to respond.

Well, I decided to jump into node today and see if I can get hosting set up. So far it’s a bust.

When I go to the site I get a 503 Service Unavailable Error

https://sandbox.lawryk.ca

I have followed this tutorial on setting it up

Anyone run across this before? Problem with the package file even though it seems to install without error?

I solved it!!! Node works on my host! Just had to update node version to the latest.

It’s all good, I’m happy again. Now to learn me some node.js.

1 Like

I registered with them when you first spotted them, intending to do a node setup video but time constraints got in the way.
If there is a need I will do one on return from holiday.

2 Likes

Started going through your videos this morning. I think it would be a valuable video for people like myself that use any cPanel hosting and regular FTP.

Just trying to set up a simple websockets demo to see if that is supported. That would be the real only reason for me to use Node.

1 Like

I think, when you have spent time using node, you will never want to go back to PHP.

3 Likes

@brad, I just spent the weekend going through @Hyperbytes’s videos as a refresher since a lot has changed since the first time I set up a site from scratch in Wappler.

I am not sure which set of videos you are watching, but I recommend

@Hyperbytes did an incredible job of going through things step by step and I found myself giggling when an error popped up because he sounded like me! :slight_smile:

I ask about the hosting because I still feel that Amazon and Digital Ocean and the like are outside my financial capabilities, so I am a little scared to move over to them. I am just not used to monthly charges or charges based on usage.

On the flip side, the shared services I have used have been a mixed bag. Some restrict what version of Nodejs they support, while others restrict what modules can be used and deployed, leaving my Nodejs projects unfinished.

1 Like

Not sure which version of Linux orangehost uses but try running this in terminal then try mysql install

sudo apt-get install npm

EDIT. Don’t bother, “sudo: command not found” error

Node was a bit of a curve to get working. Initially caused by me not knowing what I am doing. But the biggest snag was that the mysql package does not get installed by Wappler. But with great help from this community it was solved.

Even WebSockets are supported and working. So indeed, my opinion is, this seems to be a suitable host for small projects. I’m pretty happy with it so far.

1 Like

Just a heads up, this kind of package is pretty common in the world of share cPanel hosting if you aren’t looking at the super big guys who spend more on advertising (GoDaddy, etc).

If a cPanel host says they are running on Litespeed, they probably offer NodeJS, as this is where the support comes from (though a few might disable the option). Namecheap, which is very well known, offers a similar plan for £1.55/mo (first year) and supports NodeJS. It should be worth noting they do not allow external connections for MySQL though, so you’ll have to tunnel if you want to work directly off their SQL servers.

Maybe it is time for me to go back and update Ultimate Hosting Comparison & Info LIst for Wappler Projects or come to think of it, a comparison website made with Wappler? :wink:

3 Likes

Please do it! :wink:

2 Likes

In the latest Wappler 6.2, package.json is always updated directly and new modules installed, when new database connection are made.

1 Like

Very basic question as I’m new to Node. I’m currently hosting my Node site on Heroku which has the deploy option in Wappler. If I switched to Orange host, how would I deploy the site?

You would just need to use FTP with the Publish tool.

1 Like

Thanks. Are you still using them and is it all good? Heroku is charging me $12/month for what is basically a hobby site at the moment so would like to get that cost down if possible.

I’m just using it for a couple hobby sites and a Node Testing Sandbox. I have no problems at all so far. Setting up Node in cPanel was a bit of a challenge for me as I never did it before. But with help from this forum I got it running easily enough.

Cool. And websockets works as advertised?

Yep, websockets works great. That was the very first thing I tested as it would be the only reason for me to switch to Node.js .

:slight_smile:

Awesome! Thanks!!