Hello guys - How to start?

Hello all,

I am not a developer but work professionally in the IT environment (ERP) - I find wappler very interesting to implement smaller projects myself or to create prototypes / mockups. (that’s how i found out about wappler, because i was looking for an alternative to balsamiq).

I’m interested in development and would like to understand it better. have dealt with html, css, php (laravel) from time to time in the past.

Where I have less knowledge are databases pros & cons and certain vocabulary.

The basic structure of development is clear, but I find it incredibly difficult to understand what is best to use when.

Can you give me tips on how best to start?

What I wonder for example is: I now use docker and what it does and for what is clear to me - but how do you know all the commands? do you do something so often that you know it by heart or do you google?
What is the fastest way to get familiar with databases? Trial&error?

e.g. it was hard for me to design a database for user registration. (How to create the foreign key correctly, which tool should I use, which types of fields are useful or standard?)

I hope you have some tips to make it easier for me!

My first small project should be a simple user registration via oauth2 where I will be redirected to another page.

Sorry for the beginner questions and have a nice evening :slight_smile:

greetings from germany

1 Like

Welcome to Wappler @donkilliano!

First thing is to register here (great move, superb community, lots of help and advice) and then download the trial and dive in using the documentation to get you started, https://docs.wappler.io/, and then try a few forum searches. All the questions you have asked have answers, not only that they have been answered in many different ways. Makes for interesting reading. By this I don’t mean to be dismissive of your questions, or appear lazy, its just that if you don’t get an answer straight away a quick search will usually help you find what you are looking for.

Again welcome to Wappler! I’m sure you’ll find your journey both interesting and incredibly productive!

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

A good start is the online course of Ken:

2 Likes

Hi @donkilliano. Welcome to Wappler.
The questions you pose are general. They are related to development and programming and devops etc, and not specific to Wappler.

This is my understanding… Hope it helps: Wappler is not for someone who has just started in this field. It assumes you have basic knowledge of how html, css, js, db works. Also a little bit of knowledge about the server model you wish to use and hosting web apps.
If you have all that, there is still a huge learning curve in learning and understanding how Wappler does things. @mebeingken’s excellent tutorial should help you get started, along with the docs link shared above.

There are numerous resources that can help you with the pre-requisites. But all of that is out of Wappler’s scope.

Also, as Dave suggests, when you do get started, you can post specific questions and the community usually replies and resolves your queries in short time.

All the work you will put in, will ultimately be worth it. I am yet to witness any visual tool which has code independence and deployment freedom like Wappler.

2 Likes