Have You Tested The 5.8.2 Beta Channel?

Hey Wappler Users…

I’m curious to know if you’ve tested out the beta channel of 5.8.2 on your designs!

I started testing it a few days ago and have found many more issues than I expected.

The Wappler team seem to me to have created something quite radical and special… but this is an upgrade they really need our support to test as soon as possible before it goes live.

So this post is a call to action…

if you haven’t tested it yet, I would urge you to take a closer look and feed back any issues you find!

With love for this great product and our amazing community,

Antony.

2 Likes

Id like to pitch in but I have a couple of important projects going live right now and am paranoid about forgetting to switch back to stable before working on them.

Its a bit late in the day now but it’d be great to have a kind of sandbox in Wappler that we could keep totally separate from the main working environment.

Thanks @Antony and @mebeingken for being early testers of App Connect 2!

Starting today I’m also beta testing App Connect 2 and already made a bug report which was quickly fixed by Patrick :slight_smile:

As I’m not very into front-end I don’t expect to encounter more issues, though I recognize that’s because you two were one of the first to dive into the Beta water :whale:

2 Likes

Appreciate that @Apple. We’ve definitely knocked down a lot of bugs, but I suspect there are many more use cases that will only be found if people jump in.

Perhaps to get people more interested… here is a comparison of a page load with AC1 and AC2. AC1 needs a preloader after clicking edit, and AC2 does not.

AC2 performs much better, so it will be worth everybody’s effort to squash the bugs!

4 Likes

Thats quite the performance difference. I wish I had the guts to make the jump. I am very curious how my main project would be improved.

Now that you are a git user, you can just have a separate branch that has the beta updates, and bounce back and forth.

lol, I have not reached that level of Git Skill yet. Branches are still foreign to me. That is another thing I wish I knew more about.

1 Like

the switch is quite easy and painless.
Switch to beta:

Anything broken? No worries switch back to stable:

1 Like

Don’t you have to turn on ‘beta’ channel as well, @Teodor? Are those examples from V5 or V6?

Well the gifs show exactly this - switching to beta channel and switching back to stable channel :grinning:

1 Like

Sorry, I meant experimental toggle …

The beta (app connect 2) components do not rely on experimental features. Experimental features are for features in Wappler app. Beta channel gives you access to the beta extensions - in this case App Connect 2 and the components updated for it.

• Should I be using the v6 Beta for testing AC2 or stick with v5 Stable?
  • Can the beta channel be set at the project level or does it change for all projects?

Sorry for the questions and concerns. :beers:

You can use v5.

Nothing changes automatically in your projects, you need to manually click Update in the project updater dialog. You can however turn off the auto project updater dialog show on project open in Wappler settings.

Thanks for your patience, @Teodor.

I am starting with some smaller projects to maybe gain some confidence.

I would use v6 beta 2 or 3… I found a lot of bugs in the 5.8.2 beta channel that have now been fixed in v6 beta.

I have noticed that any projects that have been updated to v5.8.2 Stable channel do not require any updates when opened in v6.0.0 Stable channel.

Does it mean that the stable channels for both v5.8.2 and v6.0.0 are running on the same core?

It would be great to get a confirmation from the Wappler Team if that is the case. Then only Wappler 6.0.0 version can be run without the need to switch between the two stable versions. This will also help testing of the Beta channel and future releases on v6.0.0 easier and quicker without worrying about switching between v5 and v6.

Guys, the stable and beta channels are for the extensions only. Which means ONLY the extensions (and their js/css includes) are being updated when the channel is changed. Wappler app is not related to the channels switching.

If you want to test and use the new features in Wappler 6 you can install the beta, which is available as a separate app and installs as a separate app, running next to your Wappler 5 installation.

1 Like