Have you always been a programmer? Trade prior to Wappler

I will start, I have always be in the technology industry. Started in the public education sector, went to a private financial firm, then worked for an IT consulting firm and then went into the public government sector.

Have always been on the networking and system side, never did any serious coding or application building. Have built and managed MS SQL servers but did build or design the database itself. I have done a few sites in Wordpress for a niche market that my family business is in. I also started and owned a wireless internet provider company for a bit but has since sold it

My goal with Wappler is to build a custom CMS for a niche market, that I am growing tried of hacking my ways around in Wordpress for. I want something that is repeatable that I don’t have to hack plugins everytime I build a new site and then if the plugin or code changes I have to figure out what changed and broke my sites.

About 16 years ago I came to the same conclusion, welcome to the club.

The only reason that I am answering is because it is 8 hours ago that you posted and I am surprised that no one has spoken.

I have not created a full blown CMS systems for various reasons. Got close a couple of times. Knowing database structures is a great start. Using Wappler takes you over the halfway mark. The rest is to have a good plan.

Good luck.

Edit: Sorry, missed the headline. I have always dabbled in coding ever since I built my Heathkit computer complete with a black-and-white portable TV and a 300 baud teletype as printer. Built my own database called NAW (Naam, Adres, Woonplaats) using Benton Harbor Basic. Used it to print address labels to keep in touch with guests at a holiday park - Veluwe Strandbad in Elburg NL - that I managed at the time.

Ben, I am with you I was thinking more would chime in. I guess most folks are business, I was in a meeting for the day job and was zoning out so I posted. :slight_smile:

On and off for the last 20 years.

I have coded in basic, c, java, ruby, abap, php and js. In that chronological order also :slight_smile:

Too bad we abandoned the abap connector component some time ago.

2 Likes

Press F

1 Like

Professionally yes, started in VAX/VMS Architecture Assembly. Then DB design and Intranets. Had a break and entered professional gaming with Europe’s first eSports marketing agency (GoingLAN in Germany). Also launched PlanetLAN in the UK, Germany, Switzerland, and Austria (brief time in the States but SoGamed smashed it there, props to BDS). Pioneers in eSports! We helped to bring Intel and AMD in to sponsoring events and teams including our team Infinity eSports (also known as 4Kings CS)… Opened a graffiti gallery and studio (always a passion of mine, nothing like painting a train 200m from the Transport Police!). Now work and live as a developer in Portugal… Haven’t played CS in about ten years! Still paint trains now and again! :smiley:

2 Likes

Never too late :smiley:

2 Likes