Has Wappler ever thought about going FOSS?

Hi team,

Not asking for it. Just curious if you as a team ever gave it a thought and why you decided against it or that it is not the time or else.

I am not talking about the pricing and business model. Although from what I see from the base of users I don’t think your bottom line would suffer too much if you consider that non-technical people still need binaries and support.

That being said the amount of developers from the same base of users that could also contribute to the source code initially is not that big either. But it could get bigger eventually(or never)

We wanted to open source the App Connect and Server Connect frameworks, but just didn’t had time to do it properly. Also we change those currently quite a lot so it’s good to not have much external dependencies yet.

So maybe in the near future when things settle down :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Interesting.

How would you see developers contributing to AC and SC but not being able to integrate those fixes and features with the UI?

And if people were up to it how would you guys manage to keep up the UI so AC and SC contributions were meaningful?

Well the UI integration is already available in the form of extensions for the server connect and similar will be there for App Connect as well.

Yeah I know. I mean deeper integration. One meaningful for a FOSS approach.

I.e. A new server model that has specific UI controls.

Extensibility is currently not part of a Wappler FOSS approach although I could release my extensions I guess. But that would be me FOSSing and not Wappler.

In summary I don’t know how the community(the world) could benefit from just releasing SC and AC and not the UI. But maybe I am missing something in the whole picture.

Yet again I want to stress that I am not advocating for it. Just trying to understand how you guys would fit the pieces.

Well we try to make the UI controls as rich as possible so there is very little we haven’t covered yet.

The App Connect UI controls go even further.

So there is not a big need for UI extensibility. We also like to keep it well to confirm our design styling.

So if you need a special UI control just let us know.