Has https://cdn.jsdelivr.net suddenly disappeared?

Anyone else get this?

Just checked out a script we have hosted there, looks like it’s down image

Back up and running again now.

The number of calls and messages I’ve just had about it is unbelievable :frowning_face:

I think I may have to change all my frameworks etc to local versions.

1 Like

Fastly CDN is having degraded performance. It’s affecting a big amount of sites that use their services.

https://docs.fastly.com/en/guides/how-fastlys-cdn-service-works

produced this at 12:43 Hamburg, Germany

then the same link shows up correctly a minute later
So the whole site can’t serve itself, besides the CDN service.
It has been coming and going as if under attack.

Oops!

Seems this is a global outage of Fastly CDN effecting huge amount of sites:

2 Likes

Major marketing for CDN & Cloud Servers for years has been to prevent the kind of connection outages that plague old-style Server Hosting companies by outsourcing important bits of your website to “always available 24/7” Content Delivery and CLOUD services.

HOWEVER the world has been plagued for years now with massive outages of MAJOR WEBSITES AND SERVICES.
New York Times, CNN, Twitch and the U.K. government’s home page, SOME Amazon pages, the Financial Times, Reddit, The Guardian, etc. Having hit while Americans were mostly asleep.

The impact of Fastly’s trouble highlights the relative fragility of the internet’s architecture given its heavy reliance on Big Tech companies — such as Amazon’s AWS cloud services — as opposed to a more decentralized array of companies.

The thinking evolved a few years ago to assigning CDN services to sets of PoPs can be called “edges”, “edge nodes”, “edge servers”, or “edge networks” to be as close as possible – “closest edge of CDN assets to the end user”

Yet, the pathway architecture for finding those caches obviously is obstructed from delivering cache because central CDN requirements must be processed from master data operations up the line in other parts of the world but always harnessed within their own DEPENDENCIES.

How long have we been looking at the Emperor who keeps losing his clothes & insisting “glitch”?

The concept of making a simple page wait for multiple requests to servers all over the globe to even be able to assemble itself – even when the basic content is Static-- is, to my mind, in many cases a crazy VULNERABILITY.

Over & over the protocols & cloud & server structures that have evolved make MASSIVE TAKEDOWNS EASIER – NOT ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE “BECAUSE WE HAVE EDGE SERVERS, BACKUPS, CACHES, ETC.”

I am seeing a real benefit to hosting many websites “in house”, so to speak, on a well equipped server with its own small network of Edge servers that do NOT RELY on AWS, Google, Digital Ocean, Cloudflare for virtual servers. And use another hosting server for delivering CDN components live via API connections or their tech competitors.

We have made delivery of content LESS RELIABLE in 2021.

2 Likes