Has anyone considered Laravel Livewire? Could this be the alternative to Node?

I’ve just come across this which I can’t believe I’ve not heard of before but it looks like a very interesting alternative to Node and JS for those who love PHP.

What do people think about this? Is the Wappler team considering this for the future?

I suspect this would mean replacing App Connect so isn’t something worth considering. And I completely get the reason why Node is popular because it means JS for both front and backend. But this did look interesting.

No, not really, we are not using Lavarel for the PHP part of Wappler, but our own framework - Server Connect.
Looking at it livewire - it could be good for backenders who don’t want to leave lavarel, as they will continue writing lavarel backend code instead of learning js for the front end.
Also there are things that you need to consider, using such a framework - increased server load due to frequent requests, performance overhead, especially in applications with many concurrent / complex interactions, limited client-side control and interactivity.

And don’t forget it’s PHP … :smiley:

1 Like

Yep, that’s pretty much what I expected you to say. :+1:

True. Although I’m not anti-PHP at all and feel it has more of a place than most other members here.

But I don’t want this thread to descend into a PHP bashing conversation!

1 Like

Why not :joy:?

I’ve used Laravel Livewire briefly (before moving to Wappler). It’s cool, but remember it’s totally dependent on network connection to the backend, and reliance on Laravel of course. At the time I was also toying between Laravel and AdonisJS, so using Livewire wouldn’t allow a seamless transition.

I think next thing you could be looking at is this:
https://htmx.org/

2 Likes

its-going-to-happen-again-v0-1bmnh0zva5db1