GIT not pushing to my remote?

Hey All,

Anyone have any ideas why my GIT remote push doesn’t seem to be working lately?

I guess its since this update because i haven’t had a update on my remote since 4 days ago and i usually push to remote at least once a day.

Can anyone else check to see if their repository has a recent commit?

Are you getting any error or so? What exactly is not working?

No no error. It just has the ‘pushing to remote’ pop-up and it sits there spinning for about 30 seconds and then dissapears.

I do not get a success notification (i can’t remember if i should get one)

I have re-added and checked my remote connection and it appears fine. But when i check in GitHub there hasn’t been any updates in 4 days

It’s been working fine for me - Mac with Github.

Can I delete the remote GIT connections and then re-add them without breaking anything?

Are you perhaps working on a branch other than Master? If so, make sure you merge to master before pushing to remote.

I had been working on a branch, but within these last few days I’ve been on master, branched to a test then merged back to master.

I had played around with generating a personal access token on git, but pretty sure that was a couple of weeks ago.

Anything stopping me from deleting this repository and remote git target and then just creating a new one in GitHub and pushing to that?

I mean all the changes etc are saved locally in Wappler somewhere so I should be able to create a new repository?

Do you have the same issue if you push from CLI?

Let me Google how to do that and I’ll give it a shot when my internet starts working again and I’m finished lockdown homeschooling :grin:

1 Like

What a day!!! For what its worth, it turns out this was failing because there was a file over the 100M limit (it would be good if Wappler showed this error or something similar)

I found this out by running the GIT push command from the terminal in Wappler and also in GitHub Desktop.

The file was my postgreSQL log file (i know that it should have been added to gitignore, and i thought id done that, but i hadn’t. It was over 300mb after i big data import i did 6 days ago)

The problem then became the face that i had 6+ local commits that all had this 300+mb file and it was difficult to figure out a way to remove this file from those historical commits.

After trying a number of things, including BFG repo-cleaner, i basically resorted to manually deleting the .git folder in the Wappler project directory, creating a new git repository and pushing to a new remote with my project as is.

This way, i did lose all my historical commits/change history, but that’s no big deal as the project is still being developed.

There were some other errors along the way as Wappler kept crashing as i accidentally opened the 300mb log file at it consumed to much RAM that it kept crashing. This became an issue because every time i opened Wappler, it went straight back to trying to open the file due to its ‘remember last view’. Fixed this issue with a clean delete and re-install of Wappler.

Anyway, all fixed now, back to app development!

Rant over!

2 Likes

Hey Philip,

Thank you for sharing the steps you have taken to resolve this issue.

I am facing a similar situation with a large file that has been committed 6+ local commits and I am not able to delete it from there.

Can you tell me how you manually deleted the .git folder, I am not sure where to find it.

1 Like

Hi,

Glad this has saved you some strain and headache.

This was a little while ago so my memory is a bit foggy, but for me, the file was the postgresLog file which is something you can turn on or off in the target settings.

Some folders in the Wappler folder structure are hidden so that’s something to bear in mind.

You can always look in the windows explorer folder as well as it’s all synced with Wappler anyway.

Sorry I can’t get be more help than that…but most likely I would have deleted it in windows explorer and make sure I had ‘show hidden’ view options set.