Full text Search. What are the options out there?

So I must start thinking about full-text-search for my app.

@George as I know you guys keep tabs on latest and promising tech.

Anything new in the ecosystem that I should be aware of? Not talking about commercial solutions like algolia, postgresql own solution and things like that.

More like Typesense, Meilisearch and similar.

If they are simple(and not overkill) and play well with Wappler and the tech behind even better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well I usually go for the database included full text search as the content is normally stored in the database.

Both PostgreSQL and MS SQL have pretty decent FTS search capabilities that you can run with regular SQL queues.

Search as service is also available in tge form of ElasticSearch https://www.elastic.co/elasticsearch

You can install it as docker services and I think @mgaussie uses it a lot.

Its just that is Java based and you have to put memory limits on your docker container or it will eat it all and crash your server.

It seems pretty powerful. It’s just that I don’t like Java much…

Such things should be golang based these days.

1 Like

Sounds interesting…

We use ElasticSearch for searching across 400+ million records, and it’s very, very fast.

We simply setup the ES service in AWS and query it using an API using JSON, so we don’t need to worry about memory limits within a docker container.

ES also has a completely open source solution.

Following up on this.

I installed MeiliSearch with docker on one of the OCI free servers and I will be integrating it with Wappler(probably through a SC module).

It works a charm and it is blazing fast. Much lighter than Elasticsearch which needs quite the RAM and CPU.

This is me searching through a dataset of movies in my OCI instance.

2 Likes