From Wappler to Web (using AWS) - Tutorial Video

Hi all, in Friday’s meetup we discussed the happy path for deploying Wappler applications and the need for more tutorial videos. Therefore, I’ve created a video called “From Wappler to Web (using AWS) - Deploy a Wappler app to a live domain in minutes”

The tutorial covers the following:

1. Create an AWS API key
  2. Create a Docker Machine in AWS using Wappler
  3. Point a custom domain to the Docker Machine’s IP address
  4. Install container & SSL management services using Wappler
  5. Install a Wappler application into the Docker Machine

Here’s the video:

I hope it’s of use to some of you. Questions are welcome as always.

(Apologies for the single channel low volume audio. I’ll try and fix this in future videos)

12 Likes

Great tutorial, but one question is how do you delete it if you need to?
I’ve tried to upload something as a test and now want to delete it.

You can delete the Docker Machine from Wappler (and AWS) by pressing the Delete the Docker Machine button:

1 Like

Was more so deleting it from AWS, but I believe if you get rid of the user it gets rid of the data

I’ve amended the above answer to include “(and AWS)”.

1 Like

Ok that’s nice and easy lol

Few cents regarding your tutorial: it’s missing the security section. Your Docker and PostgreSQL services now opened to the internet and everyone can try to bruteforce your PostgreSQL password without any limitations. What I’m doing in different hosting environment (Hetzner) is configure the Firewall and allow to connect to PostgreSQL port 9906 and SSH (Docker) only from specified IP addresses. This will secure access to your system on a network layer.

1 Like

Excellent feedback.

I’m using Amazon RDS (for PostgreSQL) to host my non-demo (i.e. dev/test/production) databases. So similar to what you’ve done, I believe I can restrict it such that only my AWS Docker Machine can see it. But you’re right, I’ve not set this up yet and rely on a very long (randomized) password to dramatically extend the time required for a brute force attack to work.

With regards to the Docker Machine, the only way to access it is via a private key which sits solely on my laptop. So unless that key is shared, I believe this is secure?

You’re absolutely correct in that additional level of security can be implemented on top of this, including restricting access via specific ports (if not already in place).

I’m happy to be told I’m incorrect on any of the above :slight_smile:

Scott

Regarding private key - your correct, but your exposed service ports can be a potential point for DDoS attacks. For instance: spam authentication to your Docker server via 22 port.

Yeah, I get what you’re saying.

I need to access my Docker machine from my laptop on varying networks/places (some of which don’t have static IP addresses). So to restrict SSH access to the Docker Machine from a specified IP address, I’d probably need to VPN into a network which has a static (external) IP address and connect to it from there.

I may do this in the future, but for now I’ll just need to take the chance that my stuff’s not interesting enough to be targeted for a DDoS.

Thanks for the useful feedback.

Hi Scottclee,

Are you able to attend the Wappler MeetUp Friday, April 7, 2023 at 04:00PM/16:00 Enschede, Netherlands. You can find your time zone here:
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Wappler+April+2023+MeetUp&iso=20230407T16&p1=1302&ah=1

Thx,
Mark1

Hi Mark, yup I’ll be there.

I’ve got some new stuff to show if you’re interested :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Scott, Thx and absolutely! BTW What Country are you in?

UK (London)