ETA for Node.js support

@George ,

everyone explained that there are requirements. And nodejs support is expected for a long time. However, if nodejs will take more time to add to the wappler, or if it will not be added, give us suggestions. I’m sure many users no longer want to use software other than wappler. Obviously all I want and my dream needs are in wappler. (of course, if possible)

Now I have to use websocket in my project and have you thought of a solution for this “in a short time”? or I must be looking for another. ? If there is no solution for this, I will have to search for a solution instead of waiting.

I am sure that you will do the best in this as you have done so far. !!!

A post was split to a new topic: Allow custom Flow components

For us at our marketing agency, we’re already on the nodejs platform, building realtime apps. All of our current corporate clients, want our realtime personalization strategy, which we’re building into our webapps starting this week. Our goal isn’t building sites, but building custom integration / marketing client portals, that happen to just have a web url.

So the question is, can Wappler just connect to api’s, without it being on a server platform ie. php, asp?

If the answer is no, then to do what we’d need, I’d have to use https://n8n.io to connect my db to an api system. So wappler then becomes less necessary, at least for our current needs, and I’d have to stop my subscription. Our CMS is headless and is also in Node.

What we want is a faster way to build custom scalable realtime apps, that close the need for a complicated email strategy with 10%-25% open rates. I really feel Wappler integrating NodeJS, gives visual developers, like myself, a new tool to customize not just NodeJS CMS platforms like GhostCMS on the Enterprise level, but even Wix with Corvid you can program NodeJS based modules right within their platform. That information just being brought to the attention of their 1000’s of partners looking for a better tool for handling custom client code, would fulfill an instant business need for them.

I know this may be out of your scope, but I know the business use case I wanted it for, and was hopeful you were heading that way.

2 Likes

@George , @JonL
Hi, I’m a new user and still evaluating Wrappler for my start-up. My use case is a real time desktop web app that allows users to interact online and offline. When in offline mode, all entered data has to be securely stored, then sync with main server when back online. Node js, and Pouch DB seem like the perfect solution for this.
This application will be interacting with the user desktop USB hardware to gather real time data, run expressions, and show complex charts and computed results. The end result will be synced to the main server.
Will Wrappeler allow me to build such an app without nodeJs ? Alternatives ?

1 Like

Pouchdb support is coming up very soon!

Combined with the Flow actions We have, to build client side workflows, you don’t need NodeJS support for that.

2 Likes

Yes with Wappler you can fully utilize any API client side as well. You don’t need server side for this.

Also thanks to our reactive framework App Connect you can directly render the data from the APIs on your page.

1 Like

20 years ago I used to develo using Ultradev, that later got integrated into Dreamweaver, and Wappler model is quite similar, so I love Wappler in that regard. I have my subscription on and off, as I would like to use it for prototyping or proofs of concept but finally have to leave it aside. I used to use Codecharge, an app that doesn’t seem to be maintained anymore but enabled higher level abstractions (e.g. pick a set of tables and generate full CRUD screens with all searching, filtering, master-detail, etc. resolved). They also supported .net, php, asp server models, and it was primarily used for web applications rather than website. So when we needed a fast proof of concept it worked very well. Wappler is at a lower level, more control at a price of having to specify at a more granular level. I think that having more wizards at a higher level would certainly attract more beginner or RAD users.

I have a small software company focused on developing complex single page applications and some open source projects. In that niche the backends are Spring boot (Java) and node.js REST APIs, we do all our development in node.js. And we use Angular for the front ends, very time consuming but quite modular and reusable for complex app suites. I hesitate to use Wappler in this context, as the rest of the team would have to customize, support, etc. PHP while we are a node.js shop, and while App Connect is very nice and powerful we are usually forced to use Angular in most projects (standards, shared open source projects, etc.) Would we love to see a Wappler Angular frontend generator? sure… but we recognize it is way out of the target segment.

I still think that with Wappler API support we can eventually consider using it for prototyping or small projects, without having node.js server model embedded (we develop the backend in typescript anyway).

So I would certainly agree with having a node.js model, but I understand it gets complicated and particularly, shifts the focus to help intermediate to advanced web application development teams rather than beginner to intermediate dynamic website projects. I agree it might be other priorities that are more consistent with the current target Wappler user segments.

I am not sure I would use Wappler in my company (node.js/angular developers would prefer to stay on track and have a common component library/assets), but from the personal standpoint, I would prefer to see continued efforts for higher level, wizard driven features that capture user input (pulls for user input in the context of a task, using a narrative that makes sense) rather than the user having to figure out a complex set of atomic actions to list, edit, filter, search, add details for multiple one to many related tables, etc. That would likely attract many codecharge users (if they are not already here).
This would help dynamic website developers that would like to avoid coding, and experienced developers that would also like to avoid coding for routine tasks.

I know Wappler is constantly improving and has added many visual tools, so my comments might be obsolete in terms of added features. I am not sure my post is worth been here, but it is a way to say (from a node.js/angular shop owner and personal Wappler hobbyst) that I value consistency and trust the Wappler team would find the better mix to stay the course and care for the primary target users, without complicating it too much trying to reach segments that would change the nature of the business/targeted market.

5 Likes

Hi guys, please take a look at:

2 Likes