Error deploying with Docker

Yes unfortunately docker can be sometimes pain to setup, normally it should go fine automatically but on some pc’s additional settings might be required.

And the problem is as long is it doesn’t run all fine you will be getting those weird errors

@George

I sure do wish I could figure out those “additional settings”

Sad face.

~Elle

Did switching off the use buildkit setting helped to solve the remote deploy error? Did you found that setting in the docker desktop settings?

@George

I did not. StackOverflow post showed a CLI command that I tried which didn’t work.

Then I got sidetracked with the log errors.

Do you have advice to turn off?

~Elle

Just checked, volume is a lillle lower than normal but still very clear.
Any problems, tell me, i can reauthor them easily if you feel there is a need, it they are poor for you then they probably are for everyone so need re-done

1 Like

Hi Elle,

Seems like docker is just not working to you and you lost a lot unnecessary time to get it going.

Maybe a much more easier route was the one you got started with the lightweight development with the Wappler local server and SQLite and then for production combined with the railway app service see:

And definitely also review:

1 Like

@Hyperbytes

I enjoyed the first video and the first ~9:00 minutes of the second. Confirming each step as directed along the way.

I was saddened when I was confronted with the same error on publish to DO:

This message persists, no matter what tutorial, instruction or video I refer to:
"listing workers for Build: failed to list workers: Unavailable: connection error: desc = “transport: failed to write client preface: write |1: file al
ready closed”

There must be an answer!

I was so filled with hope for Wappler just a few days ago.

I actually do quite well resolving complex problems; when I have an understanding of what the problem is. My frustration comes from my own lack of understanding of the issue. As well, needless to say it seems worrisome that seasoned Wappler’s are having the same frustration in trying to help me understand.

I appreciate your time and efforts nevertheless.

~Elle

At this point I think it might be worth trying an older Docker version on the DigitalOcean VPS.

Has anyone here deployed a DigitalOcean VPS through Wappler since the creation of this topic and verified no errors ocurr?

My workaround would be manually creating a DigitalOcean VPS with Ubuntu 22.04 and installing the docker.io package which is maintained by Ubuntu instead of Docker

1 Like

Which video are you following? I tested the deployments to DO - just created a new server on Digital Ocean using the Resource Manager, then set up a new target using it and then deployed my project. Everything looks fine in my tests:

@Teodor I belive she was following my series on " Using the Resource Manager to create local and cloud droplets and databases with the aid of docker" on the wappler channel.

1 Like

Well i believe i’ve done the same.

1. Setup a server on DO in resource manager
  2. Setup a remote target using this server
  3. Deploy

Everything works correctly here.

@Teodor @Hyperbytes

Correct; the video series referenced earlier in this thread.

That’s awesome, Teodor. Happy to hear you got it working!

~Elle

Hi Elle,

If you are doing exactly the same thing and creating a brand new server in resource manager and then assign it to the remote target of your project but still the deploy of that target fails, can you make a short video of doing that? Maybe we can see then what is missing?

1 Like

I had some problem with deploying to Docker on Digital Ocean. I did do all the right things according to any video and instructions. The problem I find out, was that the firewall on my network stopped some of the traffic from the pc and to Digital Ocean and back again. I dont know wy it did that, but an update on the firewall and what it stopped fixed the problem.
Just a small tips.

And by the way have you tried some of the other provider like Hetzner or Linode.

2 Likes

@Hyperbytes @tehowden @kfawcett

So… after about a week of frustration, I resolved this in about 30 minutes by changing from DO to Heroku.

At least I can deploy the app on Heroku and still take advantage of the DO db clusters that I’m fairly familiar with already.

Thank you so much for everyone that posted in attempt to get me to a resolution. It’s appreciated.

~Elle

Glad you got something working. It’s best to run everything with the same provider so all parts of the system have less latency and network issues.

I’m still curious what is causing you to not successfully upload to DO. My initial guess is a firewall setting on your local machine or at DO.

@kfawcett

Still could be, for sure. However, DO I updated iptables, ufw, etc. My windows machine I confirmed every port Wappler and Docker were seeking - and the strange 2575 port error (screenshot above) were open and or I opened them in/out.

Here is what I do know: It is very hard for me to be faced with a simple task that creates feelings of frustration even after tens of hours of efforts to no avail.

Nonetheless, I do appreciate your thoughts and efforts in this thread.

~Elle

1 Like

@kfawcett Agreed, in most circumstances. I will certainly circle back to what the Heroku db offerings are; I have never used the platform.

I like DO since I already understand clusters, back up, high availability, distributed read only, etc. More than anything I just wanted to get something up and going. I’m a long way away from load and latency A/B testing. Yet, however, your point is quite valid and is appreciated.

~Elle

Hi Elle,
Glad you got it working on more easy way!

We’re you able to use SSH terminal to the DO server?
You could open the SSH terminal from the context menu in the Resource Manager when you have your DO server selected

Docker also uses SSH for deploys to cloud servers defined in Resource Manager and SSH uses port 22 on the remote servers, so this port should be open

2 Likes

This is why I asked about your firewall. You must have ports 22 and 2376 open.

Digital Ocean Firewall:

Screenshot from 2023-08-19 12-24-57

UFW (run sudo ufw status in the SSH Console to see output):

Screenshot from 2023-08-19 12-26-50

Glad you have sorted it, although not on DO, still a step forward!

1 Like