Easier opening of Query Builder, Flow Editor etc (less clicking)

It seems that more flexibility/functionality in Server Connect will be enabled in Wappler 4 with the option to double-click actions etc. There are other cases where a double-click option would save time.

9 time out of 10 (or perhaps nearer to 99/100), when I select (1), it’s in order to click (2):

It would be great if I could just double-click (1). Ctrl+clicking would be a good option too. What might be even better if when (1) was selected (2) would get the focus and could be selected with the Enter/Return key.

There are lots of cases where ‘click + find the target + click’ could be replaced by a double-click or click + Enter etc, eg:

… and not just buttons like these, but also the many case like this:

Such changes would save a huge number of clicks, moving the mouse around and hand fatigue.

(Update: I’ve just realised I can select Database Insert (for example) and access the Insert Options button using the keyboard - but it requires pressing the tab key 7 times! Perhaps simply changing the tab order would be possible - and make a big useability improvement.)

I believe it’s been confirmed that those modals will cease to exist and will be added inline inside the tab. So when you click on a database insert step the query builder will appear in the tab automatically.

1 Like

I realise the modals will probably be going, but I imagined selecting Database Insert for example would display Datebase Insert Properties - as it does now in beta 7 - and then you will have to click again to open Query Builder (but it won’t open in a modal). If they open as in your illustration, that would be great.

However, there are quite a few other cases where using the UI could be improved with minor tweaking - eg like giving focus to a thunderbolt icon when that is probaby what you’re going to click next.

There are many cases where two steps are needed when one should be enough. Eg doing a global search: you would expect to enter the search term and press Enter - but you can’t.

Indeed. It has to be a bug or it slipped through the cracks. I don’t know if there is a bug report regarding this.

Yep. I believe the Insert Options button will disappear and the builder will just show up as part of the properties. It will be a great time saver.

Like quite a few issues, there have been reports, but they are mixed with others and get lost, as in this case perhaps. I’m sure I’ve mentioned this once or twice in other threads - but probably not as a bug, because it’s not exactly a bug.

Even with the replacement of the modals, it would be good if other streamlining could be made, as in the default focus suggestion for lightning bolts or tweaked tab orders etc.

1 Like

I don’t think that would be a very good solution. Since I will anyways have to select the insert item in the list with a mouse. Keyboard navigation here would be a difficult thing from what I understand.

So, it would be better to have more options available with the mouse - like the context menu Jonas has suggested.

For this case specfically though, when the modals are made inline, I think the insert options part will open up automatically on step selection, as also suggested by Jonas.

1 Like

I expect you usually would, but as it is, you can already navigate the SC steps with arrow keys and press Enter to open the corresponding properties panel. If at this point the most useful option (eg the button) had focus, you could just press Enter rather than moving your mouse across the screen to click the button. Even if you start by selecting the step with the mouse, then pressing Enter (or double-clicking) to open the most useful/default option would save time - I would have thought.

It would have save us shortcut/keyboard users some precious ms, definitely. But the new tab UI trumps this now. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You’re probably right. I may not have been paying enough attention to the changes which are coming. I’m looking forward to the next beta.