DW converting to Wappler

I would like to switch completely to Wappler but what should be done with my dozens of sites developed in DW with its extensions.

What is the procedure? I have already done some experiments and I think a lot of work needs to be done again. Not to mention the cleaning up of unnecessary libraries and code created by DW.
It would be handy if we had a manual for converting DW websites to Wappler websites.

1 Like

I worked some years ago with DW and this old version used native PHP includes and Server connections to make DB interaction.

So what I would say we had with old DW this concept:

DW <——>PHP/ASP

Now with wappler its this way:
Wappler <—— JSON ——> PHP/ASP

Maybe I‘m wrong but I guess you need to copy whole website without PHP/Connectivity and rebuild your connectors

1 Like

My websites are static so I don’t worry about php :smile:

There is already a documented way in the official Wappler documents Migrating Dreamweaver Site Definitions into Wappler, hope this helps.

Hi, I have followed the steps for adding a Dreamweaver site to Wappler but am having zero success, it says ‘copy’ when I drag it over but it don’t, is it just me?

Hi David, welcome to Wappler.

With all of the changes to the project manager over the years since that doc came out, I would be surprised if it is still supported. That’s a pretty old feature from the very early days of Wappler when almost all users were coming over from Dreamweaver.

Maybe someone from the team (@Teodor) can confirm if that is still a supported feature?

Maybe the tutoril should be removed if it is no longer supported!!!, is there another way I can import sites from DW otherwise it is back to Dreamweaver.

Another issue I had was when I go a static site open in Wappler a load of links were not working, figured out that Wappler doesn’t like spaces in names (I know we should never use names with spaces, but Dreamweaver works around that now) anywho, I ended up writing a PowerShell script that removed the spaces with an _ and another one that went through the HTML files and replaced the same in the code. I haven’t got through all the tutorials as yet but does Wappler have templates like dreamweaver?

Full Templates

  1. Click on the current site
  2. Select the New Project button
  3. And choose the template of your choice

Block Templates

  1. Select the + as shown
    image
  2. Select More
  3. Choose Blocks
  4. Experiment

Thanks, Ben, do you know if I can create a template I have in DW and implement into a Wappler template I can use on the DW site I have opened?

David, if you are referring to the DW Templating Engine, then you are out of luck; there are no other platforms, outside of DW, that accommodate these Templates.

The easiest way out of this, create a NodeJS project which will, in turn, create a layout and an index page. The layout page is the equivalent of a template page in DW, while the index page is for the content. A routing system is automatically created by Wappler so that when you go to http://localhost:3000 the index page appears.

Similarly, when you create subsequent content pages, about, contact etc. http://localhost:3000/about and http://localhost:3000/contact

For more, go to the YouTube channel at Wappler - YouTube and have a look at the Boutique playlists.

I had the exact same issue as you years ago, I ended up manually converting all sites from Classic ASP / PHP over to NodeJs. I’ve never looked back (still more sites to do too). Some of these sites were very old so they benefited a lot from the better security and more modern code base.

I still use Dreamweaver from time to time to do simple updates of the older sites that are yet to be converted over, I shudder every time DW opens now as it all seems like travelling back in time, back to the ages of steam engines :slight_smile:

1 Like