Does Wappler have a locally running PHP server?

Hey all, this might be a newbie question. I have a project, with Server Model configured to PHP. I have a few Server Actions, and a couple Flows, and I’d like to be able to test these from my local machine rather than from the server.

So, question: with Wappler installed and Server Mode set to PHP, does Wappler also run a local /min PHP server stack, so I can test things locally? For example, I’m using a form to send an email, using Server Actions. I’d like to launch the site/project locally (using the Open in Browser button) and see how and whether I have things configured properly.

Wappler can do so many other great things, I wouldn’t doubt it… but I don’t know. Thanks in advance for any answers / suggestions!

Yes we use Docker for that. So if you have setup your project with Docker and PHP, then you can have a running PHP Apache server locally and also a database if you wish.

Great! I’ll look into that further (and how to get it running) - nice solution. Will I need to deploy the site (project) as a Docker container too, or just use the Docker container during development, then be able to publish the site as a [standard] website without the underlying Docker structure?

Thanks again.

Up to you. You can develop using docker in your system to spin up the webserver and the database and then you can deploy via FTP, GIT, docker, tar file or whatever method you prefer and your hosting provider allows.

Wappler, though, is optimized for docker deployment, FTP and GIT(via remote repository)

That’s exactly what I’m looking for - develop using Docker on my local system, to spin up the webserver and PHP functionality, then use FTP to deploy to the hosting company (which has PHP but not Docker). Awesome.

From reading the docs, looks like I just need to install / run Docker locally. I just was looking for confirmation that adding Docker locally didn’t irreversibly change settings in my Project that would require I deploy the website as a Docker container to production. Sounds like that’s not the case: I can still develop (using Docker as the web/PHP server) and test functionality locally, then deploy to standard hosting. Great!

2 Likes

A local PHP server is now available in Wappler 5.6.0

This topic was automatically closed after 32 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.