Docker disk space usage problem

Still converting my old PHP site to node/ Docker on D.O.

Yesterday I was a very happy person, Teodor had allayed by worries, site was deployed via docker and all seemed great.

But sadly the problems are not over and I am at a loss what is going on

My local site and the online site are currently identical in size

There is an unloads folder set in the project settings which has approx 73MB of files in it

These have been uploaded to the server and i can see the volume is present by examining the portioner settings

On local disk (which includes the same images now on the server) the site shows as around 369 MB including all wappler support files.

Deploying this morning after some code updates my docker upload failed flagging insufficient space

My droplet max size is 50GB

but my disk usage is showing maxed out at 100%

Anyone any suggestions what may be going on here?

Gut feeling is that the problem must lie with the uploads volume but i don’t see an obvious way to check the size of that volume?

See:

Yes, thanks for that, didnt know you could do that
I see

Clean up did the job
(starting to feel like a inexperienced newbie again! :frowning: )

1 Like

Ah well I think we should automate that more :smiley:

Usually older docker image builds are kept in case you want to switch back, but we do not do that so it is kind of lost space indeed.

1 Like

That would suit me as I always have server backups enabled on any server setup i use but there may be some who would disagree, just my opinion.
Or perhaps you could make it an option in the project settings?

Yes maybe just an extra clean icon on the docker toolbar below.

Anyway here are some useful docker tips to help learning:

Thanks George, trying hard to become confident/ proficient with docker. I know it is that way to go but I am such a control freak with data i confess it is hard to hand this over to am automated system.

Still trying to work out how to download user data on server to a local target to keep them in sync. I like to keep a local copy of everything for peace of mind and not being able to download from target in the usual way is a big miss

Any references you could point me to?

This is what i have tried to date

What kind of user data are you talking about?

In general you should try to avoid storing any user data on the docker containers.

You should use file upload serverside like S3 for files and your database for the rest.

It is images uploaded from the admin dashboard (it’s a property management system). Not huge volumes, maybe a few hundred MB max peak

You are probably right, should go the S3 route, just another hurdle in the docker journey I guess

Digital ocean spaces is great S3 compatible storage with automatic CDN! So it is very useful for such image assets.

And if your database grows you can also switch to digital ocean managed databases with automatic backups and such.

Then you just use docker for web server deploy and you have enough on light server and no backup needs - you can even spin up multiple ones as your database is centralized as a managed database.

1 Like

So much to learn, so little time. Wish I was 18 again :wink:

@Hyperbytes wish to be 18 again … not only to learn Docker I suppose

This was also greatly improved in recent Wappler updates as you can now run docker cleanup to remove older and unused deployment images and save space.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.