Do I have to choose a "server model" when using SQlite?

Do I have to choose a “server model” when using SQlite?
I want to use regular HTML and SQlite without PHP - Is this possible?

Although SQLite is serverless, the programming language is PHP which does require a server. So to answer your question, yes you do need to choose a server model.

In addition to Ben’s reply - you can work on standard HTML pages, no need to use PHP files.

So, in Wappler, even if I choose a “server model” and connect to the SQlite database and perform database queries, once the server is stopped (Local Xampp), my project should run normally without PHP and without Xampp?

I am asking this because I am planning to allow others via zip file download my desktop project including the SQlite database and run it in their desktop computers.

A browser interprets HTML, CSS and JS.

Because SQLite contains PHP, the browser will not process the document. There needs to be a translator that translates the PHP into HTML. For that you will need a server.

Thank you Ben and Teodor for your feedback. My knowledge in this area is quite limited, and I learn as I try.

Question, it is my understanding that some mobile apps utilize SQLite to manage data. Is this true? And if yes, do you know how that’s implemented?

I have no experience with mobile apps and their methods of data storage.

What I do know is that the storage of data is most useful when it is available to a larger audience and this can only be achieved when the database is served by a host connected to the internet.

There are a multitude of methods to retrieve/manipulate the information from a remote database, the one that web developers are concerned with use a browser.

Other methods include proprietary and bespoke software/apps. These methods are beyond the scope of web development and require a broad knowledge of coding using scripts like Java or C++

You have mentioned the use of HTML which makes me conclude that the application that you have in mind uses a browser. What then is wrong with uploading your application to a remote host that has an Apache or similar server. That way all that is required for your users is to deploy their favourite browser. If the info is private, secure your site using Security Provider. This method has the added advantage that any upgrades are instantaneous.

Thinking back, in 2003 I developed a browser based desktop application that used an Access database. Could this be a solution for you?

The issue is that the data / information has to be secure (“HIPAA” regs - Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) and I do not want anyone to claim that their info was hacked, because that would spell trouble for me. That’s the reason I would prefer a self-contained database.

Now you can use SQLite for your mobile and desktop projects: Using Local Databases in Mobile and Desktop apps