Database backup strategy & workflow

Hello,
I been able to set up what I need including : docker with Maria db & nodejs / git / deploy on AWS thanks to the tutorials / doc and the great course for beginners. It’s more work than starting a bubble project but for sure it will pay on the long run, I’m convinced after 1 week using Wappler.

Now come the questions of database backup & workflow. I really would like to get the good practices in order to start the right way.

Update : I’m testing ASW Backup. Looks very easy to set up and run. Anyone used it?

Thanks for your support.

1 Like

I use AWS Elastic Beanstalk and managed database…

And for your back up? How you manage it?
What made you choose Elastic beanstalk and managed database over the EC2 integration proposed by Wappler for docker?

I’m super interested, as well. Bubbler here, too. Did you already figure a way to add a column for created date and updated date for all your tables? I’m looking into this, since I really like this functionality in Bubble.

I wanted the scaling of EB, and I set it all up before Wappler had the AWS hosting features…

With the managed DB, AWS does all the backups, and I have the database replicated over two of their sites…

1 Like

Yes, if you like this you can write it into the database table when you create/update the row in your Server Action…

We’re on EC2 (not EB) but similar to Antony with regards to backups, all via AWS. We also have offsite backups (through AWS CLI to local machines) and a separate replication on to another server as a further fail safe.

1 Like

Interesting to hear about your setup Dave… so are you using the AWS Managed DB with a replica on a seperate site?

I’d love to know more about how you’ve set up the off-site backup… if it is easy to do then to see some scripts, or if it is more complex maybe you could PM be about what you would charge to set it up for me! :slight_smile:

We were fortunate to have an AWS engineer stay in one of our rentals, and in exchange for the rental value he carried out quite a bit of work for us including setting up our replication and also saved us a huge amount by setting up our instances to shut down when not in use (saved us an absolute fortune in usage hours). So in essence, and in all honesty, we have absolutely no idea how it all works (despite sitting alongside him the whole time). I’ll contact him and ask if he is willing to give us some direction and instructions on the set-up as we now wish to replicate the same scenario to a new Project. We sort of figured out a few bits and pieces but the rest is black magic to us.

Wow, that is quite a story @Dave!

Does he seem a reliable and trustworthy fellow?

I could do with an AWS guru on board…

Where is he based?

Very, he works for UBS Antony. They closed down their PT offices so he was on location shutting down and relocating back to the UK. So as far as I know he will be back and fourth between the UK and Portugal for a few weeks. We are lucky as I.T workers here are deemed Critical so we now have exemption for the quarantine bollox. He has made a further preliminary booking for July 12th so if he does make it I shall ask if he would undertake other private work and let you know.

Likewise. We have also looked at Freelancer to hire in for the same role. First we are putting our deployment plan together so we don’t waste time and money. Would essentially like to get everything done without too much conversation. AWS is deep though, as you probably well know. We are discovering new things every ten minutes hahaha… ‘Oooo we could do it this way, or that way’, then ‘wow we could do it this way too’… Like being a kid in a sweet shop! :smiley: