Custom Subdomains CNAME records

Has anyone yet tackled setting up custom cname records for SAAS type applications where the user would want to use a custom domain or a subdomain like user1.myapp.com?

I remember reading about https://cername.com/ to get around the same issue at Bubble but I’m sure there’s a better (or free/open-source) way of doing this.

Should also mention auto SSL would be an important point too.

1 Like

You should just define a wildcard * record that covers all subdomains automatically.

Same is also for the SSL you should get a wildcard SSL certificate. You do need to pay for it as the free ones from let’s encrypt cover only full names.

1 Like

Oh so simple! I guess then I could just store the subdomain value in the db and use it to filter client data on the app?

Exactly! It is so simple!

And indeed then you can do all your own sub domain routing and filtering based on values from the database.

So once setup you don’t have to change any DNS or certificates and have thousands of sub domain names all dynamically.

3 Likes

@George
I want to use the let’s encrypt wildcard SSL certificate and set it up so our clients (SaaS) get their own domain like: client.myapp.com and (as you said) filter all DB queries on that subdomain.

Can you give me any pointers on how to do this?
The Let’s encrypt wildcard documentation talks about ACME v2, but I don’t know how to apply this to the current wappler setup.

(I am using the Traefik integration and it installed SSL for me - in the project settings)