Creating iOS platform based apps with Docker4Xcode

Hello,

Looking for an alternative for installing MacOS on a virtual machine in order to be able to install and run Xcode for iOS mobile app development, I thought of using a Docker image with Xcode for this and came accross this Docker4Xcode github repository. However I think this could be a welcome solution for Wappler users to be able to create iOS apps on a non-Mac too, I didn’t even come close to a working solution.

Anyone experienced enough in Docker, Wappler, (i)OS and Xcode to tell me if this could be a working solution in the end at all and probably even tell the rest of this thankful community how this should be setup? Or, in the worst case, tell me it’s a no go and I should forget about it and just use a Mac or VM with XCode to create iOS platform based apps :smirk:

Thanks for any advice :slight_smile:

First thing I noticed is that a requirement for this is to be running MacOS.

Requirements

• OSX (tested with 10.10.3)

So this is NOT a docker image that contains and runs MacOS. Because that is not possible.

What I believe this does is run you iOS app as a docker container. You still need xcode to code the app. Thus you need MacOS.

1 Like

Thanks @JonL, I should have noticed that myself I guess.
Unfortunate that this isn’t a solution for the creation of iOS apps on a windows machine :frowning_face:
I keep on looking for a better/easier way than installing MacOS on a VM…

1 Like

The only options that I know of to develop on xcode are:

• Buy a mac
  • Build a hackintosh
  • Remote Desktop Cloud Mac (subscription)
  • VM

Thanks again @JonL! I got a macbook, so I’ll use that :slight_smile:
However I would prefer working on the same device and create everything from there, that’s why I was looking for an easier solution than RDP / VM, which apparently doesn’t exist, so that quest stops here I guess :nerd_face:

1 Like

when you are done with android subscribe for a mac cloud and build your ios.
it will cost you less than 20$

1 Like