Converting from other CMS like Megento or Wordpress

HI,
It’s been awhile since I was here. But I have a new prospect for a site. Is it possible to use Wappler in a stand alone environment off of the cloud?
I need to develop a catalog-like applicaton for portable presentations with total privacy and security. I’m thinking of installing Wappler on my laptop with a portable disck drive for the content?
Do you think this can be done?
I want to develop and archive a family history with images, copy, and videos and take it to reunions, etc.
John

Hello John,

Wappler isn’t in the cloud, it works standalone and offline, it requires an internet connection once in a while to verify the license. The websites or apps that you create are also on your local computer, nothing is uploaded unless you define a remote host. You can use a local wamp/lamp to run you project local.

1 Like

Hey John investigate Electron and deploy your own desktop application powered by your data. Can be made secure. Shareable to all the family, each member could even have a log-in for their side! You can develop in Wappler most of the way and with a few questions and a little Googling you could easily put something together relatively quickly without the hassle of the AppStore or AppleTesco registration.

:slight_smile:

Edit: Did I mention? You can deploy to Windows, Mac, and Linux with a simple build command and a couple of npm additions! We’ve gone this route now, Electron - Web App (using 99% of the source of the Electron App) - Mobile App (using 95% of the source of the Electron App with some pain in the arse tweaks for all the different platforms and certificate requirements which we do in Android Studio). A lot of the design work is handled efficiently by Wappler (and of course all the dynamic side) with some tweaks using Visual Studio Code Community Edition (FREE) for Electron and Android stuff (and as I mentioned some work in Android Studio which we detest).

Thanks Patrick,

Does Wappler have contacts with freelance folks that might be able to assist in a migration from Magento to Wappler?

Thanks,

John

You can post a job offer in the jobs category:
https://community.wappler.io/c/jobs/43

Hi Teodor,
Long time no talk. Thanks for the reply.
I’ll check it out.
Do you know of anyone migrating a Magento store to Wappler?
Thanks,
John

No, but this question is quite too generic.
There is no such thing as migrating a site from a CMS (WordPress/Magento/etc) to Wappler.

The site just needs to be rebuilt.

Ok, I understand that. What about the database . Mine is MySql with about 1000 events that in include images, copy, audio, and sound.
Thanks,
John

You can connect to the same mySQL database and use its data but it will be a bit over overkill as it will have much more data and schema than you need.

So you might be better off but just designing a new database and importing the old data to you.

Hi George,
Couldn’t the MySQL data be exported and then formated to import back into Wappler?

Thanks,
John

Hi John, I think what George was saying and I agree with is that you can simply use the same database you had for your WP or Magento site if its MySQL. But the chances are that those databases would have a lot of data that is specific to the CMS and not needed in your new project.

It would be best to export just the data you need and recreate the database.

Ok, Brad. That is what I was thinking. But I have almost two years invested in digitizing source content and putting it into the Magento database. And I am not a DBA, so I would clearly need assistance to make the data transferable for export/import. Do you think this can be done if I build the Wappler app for the content data?
Thanks,
John