Converting Bootstrap 4 pages to Bootstrap 5

With the new integration of Bootstrap 5 (beta 1) in Wappler we also created a converter, which you can use to convert your existing Bootstrap 4 pages to Bootstrap 5.

What’s changed in Bootstrap 5

Bootstrap 5 brings some quite significant changes. We won’t list all of the changes here (you can find this info on https://getbootstrap.com/)
Some of the most important changes are:

• jQuery dependencies has been removed and Bootstrap is now using vanilla JavaScript
  • IE support has been dropped
  • A new extra extra large (xxl) grid size has been added
  • Classes (class names) updated
  • Forms elements updated, so they look the same across all browsers
  • Navbar code updated

and more, which you can find on Bootstrap site.

With these changes it’s not quite easy to manually update your Bootstrap 4 pages to Bootstrap 5, so we created a converter, which does this for you.

NOTE: The converter will never run automatically and it will never change anything on your pages automatically or when you load your Bootstrap 4 pages in Wappler.
The converter will only run if you choose to run it. Bootstrap 5 is available as a separate framework in the Frameworks menu and your Bootstrap 4 pages will continue working just as did until now!

Make sure to backup your pages before converting them to Bootstrap 5!

Converting a Bootstrap 4 page to Bootstrap 5

It’s not mandatory to update all your sites to Bootstrap 5, as Bootstrap 4 is working perfectly fine in Wappler and you can continue using it. If you want to convert your pages to Bootstrap 5 you can do this page by page - as the converter runs per page and not per your whole site.

Open your Bootstrap 4 page:

Open the Frameworks menu:

Open Bootstrap and scroll down. You will find the Bootstrap 5 include options there:

Select if you want to use Bootstrap 5 from CDN or local. Click the option you want to use:

And a dialog asking you to convert to Bootstrap 5 appears. Click Confirm to convert your page:

And you are done. Your page has been successfully converted to Bootstrap 5:

Do this for all the pages you want to convert to Bootstrap 5.

Notes

NOTE: There are some components like Summernote, Event Calendar (Full Calendar), Date Range Picker and Bootbox, so if you are using them you might want to leave the pages they are used on to Bootstrap 4 as these components are not fully Bootstrap 5 compatible yet and also they require jQuery.
When their developers update them with Bootstrap 5 support we will include the updates as well.

Also note that you can safely mix Bootstrap 4 and Bootstrap 5 in your websites - so some pages can use Bootstrap 4 and others Bootstrap 5 and there won’t be any issues.

4 Likes

Thanks for this @Teodor - what are your thoughts on using CDN v local? CDN seems optimum but I read elsewhere that Wappler needs to use local for the theme manager.

What is bootstrap 5 beta 1 custom?

To use theme manager we still need to use the local, right?

Yes, just the same as bootstrap 4.

Same as bootstrap 4 custom CSS/js location - i.e. when used with third party templates.

1 Like

@Teodor does the AC ‘Date and Time’ module also use JQuery?

Can we perhaps get a full list of which modules use JQuery, so it’s easier to plan a migration to Bootstrap 5, as we’ll no doubt need alternatives / new modules to replace those using JQuery.

No, none of the native App Connect components require jQuery.

As for components using jQuery, you can use jQuery on Bootstrap 5 pages as well.

I understand I can use jQuery on BS5 pages, but then I have to load the whole jQuery library - so I’m making a plan to not use any jQuery.

Re: AC components, I’m a little confused can you clear this up.

In your comment in your original post:
" Notes

NOTE : There are some components like Summernote , Event Calendar (Full Calendar), Date Range Picker and Bootbox , so if you are using them you might want to leave the pages they are used on to Bootstrap 4 as these components are not fully Bootstrap 5 compatible yet and also they require jQuery.
When their developers update them with Bootstrap 5 support we will include the updates as well."

Are you not referring to these components, specifically the ‘Date Range Picker’ ?

These are all third party based components (incl. Date Picker/Date Range Picker). They are not App Connect native components, while the Date and Time component is an App Connect native component.
The third party components we are using for them are not yet updated to support Bootstrap 5 and are also jquery based. From our tests the only components which actually don’t work quite well in Bootstrap 5 are the Bootbox dialogs, used in Flows. Summernote, Event Calendar and Date/Range Picker work perfectly fine in Bootstrap 5 pages, even if they don’t officially support it.

Well. you can include it only on the pages containing any of the components listed above.

1 Like

Ok, thank you - you can probably understand my confusion as I have no way of knowing which component in AC uses a third party or not - hence the question.

Good news re: Date and Time as I need to use that in a few locations.

Has anyone tested the jquery components against cash?