Converting a website into a PWA

Part 1:

Part 2:

3 Likes

loved part 1 - watching part 2 now.

1 Like

For the last video

5 Likes

Thank you Ben! I do not have a need for this (yet) but if I do I’ll make sure to watch these video’s. Just wanted to show my appreciation for your work!

1 Like

Ben, thanks for sharing your knowledge so generously.
However I got stuck at second 10 of the first video :sweat_smile: where you say

The procedure as outlined in this video will not work for Node.js single page apps, it will work however for node.js based on a layout page and for other single page and multiple page apps.

I’m planning to build an online platform (not a native app but a responsive webapp) that connects users and consultants (signup, login, search by category, internal messaging, tender submission…), with a MySQL backend (20 relational DB tables).
Will your procedure work?

1 Like

Hi Fred thank you for your feedback.

The static content is no problem.

What I think works best is storing the db responses (probably JSON) inside of IndexedDB. This way you avoid security issues because the data you store is part of the frontend, but you can still reuse the data if needed.

However, for your app, the IndexedDB cache should only be a fallback, if the backend can’t be reached. Only then do you have to use the offline data (which might be stale). Just update the IndexedDB every time you make a backend request!

Here is a discussion on alternatives:

Thanks!
The guys at Monterail are really good.

Since I have zero background in coding, I’d appreciate if you could recommend a tutorial on implementing this indexedDB. I see many Workbox tutorials on youtube - any particular one you recommend?

Have a look at

1 Like

Thank you Ben… :slight_smile: i know its 2022… but this is still gold… :slight_smile:

2 Likes