Connect to self-hosted git repositories

With slightly concerning T&Cs with the various leading git repos…

eg. https://docs.github.com/en/site-policy/github-terms/github-terms-of-service#4-license-grant-to-us

…self hosting is becoming much more of a necessity. Please could Wappler connect to self-hosted git repos like Gitea or Gitprep? I am hoping it’s just a case of giving the url/IP address and creating SSH keys so Wappler can play nicely with any of these alternative options.

What’s the issue with the providers already available in Wappler - github, gilab and bitbucket?

See the link in my post. They have the right to access and use any code uploaded.

Then there’s this:

Trained on billions of lines of code, GitHub Copilot turns natural language prompts into coding suggestions across dozens of languages.

It would be much safer to just have your own storage.

you should be able to connect to any git service - even your own private ones. Depending on the security they have you can use username/password or a SSH key to connect (preferable). You can just enter those in your Wappler global options or will be prompted as well when trying to connect.

1 Like

Excellent. Thanks @George. I wondered if that might be the case. I’m planning on setting up Gitea tomorrow so will then give it a go.

@George - I’ve set up Gitea on a VPS and am ready to use it. In the global options, I can only select Github, Gitlab and Bitbucket. How/where do I enter my own IP/URL? I’ll be using SSH keys.

You can connect to your custom git service by clicking the icon here:
Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 18.17.01

Just throwing this in here: GitLab can be self-hosted and is battle tested. If this is a big project or you might need to scale later, I’d stick to GitLab.

Thanks @Teodor, I tried that but got this message:

I want to use SSH keys.

Did you configure to use the local SSH agent in settings -> git ?

CleanShot 2023-05-18 at 17.36.38

Good shout. Have now done that and getting this:

Looks like that’s not a Wappler issue but you need to configure your local ssh agent and config so that the agent knows which key to use for your gitea host.

You can just check to use the SSH agent and you can add you own SSH keys to it either manually via the command like or via the Resource Managet

OK, I’m trying to use the Resource Manager but clicking on the + doesn’t do anything. (v5.6.2 Mac M1)

Ah I see we don’t have yet the functionality to add standallone keys to the SSH Agent in Resourcve Manager. We do that for the Could Providers only.

But will add it soon then.

For now you can just add it on the terminal with the ssh-add command as described in:

https://www.flownative.com/en/documentation/guides/beach/how-to-generate-a-new-ssh-key-and-add-it-to-the-ssh-agent.html

1 Like

Thanks @George. I now have Wappler connected to my self-hosted Gitea installation. :slight_smile:

It would be great to have the functionality for adding standalone keys within Wappler to speed up the process. Shall I post a FR?

No need - I already added it for the next update :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fixed in Wappler 5.7.0

Sorry @Teodor, 5.7.0 still gives the error

failed to start SSH session: Unable to exchange encryption keys

My desktop works perfectly, and did with the previous version, but my Macbook doesn’t. Should I reinstall Wappler?