Confirm DELETE by typing the name of something enable if they match

This reminds me again of a suggestion I made in the Mobile Apps category in the past 2 weeks.

It would be GREAT if Every Tutorial would have a Zipped-Up downloadable of all the relevant folders & files generated by the steps of each Tutorial.

It would save time to be able to compare Exactly the sequence & scopes of a working application in the code of a file.

Too often over the years problem solving is a multi-step piece-by-piece, hour after hour, day after day inclusion of more code & more code from the struggling developer ā€“ backwards engineering, so to speak, how the problem could have happened.

It would save perhaps days of detective work to have the actual project files downloadable that WORK as an Expert coded them so that Developers can locally compare what they were doing wrong with the Best Practice of the Tutorial.

They would have less excuse for mis-understanding exactly where their code insertions happened in the page sequence, for instance.

Each tutorial would have the accompanying project files so it could be quickly understood by examination instead of just relying on text & screenshots or gifs to convey details.

Did you do this?

Make sure to select your bindings under the Data Detail and not under the Server Connect component!

Your code makes me suspect you didnā€™t use the dynamic connection query but the initial connection to the server data.

<form id="delete_plan_id" method="post" is="dmx-serverconnect-form" action="../api/Plans/delete_plan"><input id="plan_id_delete" name="plan_id_delete" type="hidden" class="form-control"
                                                                dmx-bind:value="id">
                                                        </form>

This would be quite an undertaking. Would the zip include versions for all server models and database types? Each tutorial would probably have to be installed as a new project via GIT. Using docker? It could require extra support to set up. But in principal, a nice idea.

1 Like

For completeness this is the code that now works:

<div class="modal-body">
<div class="container">
<dmx-data-detail id="delete_check" dmx-bind:data="get_plans.data.get_plans" key="id">
 <input id="confirm_delete" name="confirm_delete" type="text" class="form-control">
<form id="delete_plan_id" method="post" is="dmx-serverconnect-form" action="../api/Plans/delete_plan"><input id="plan_id_delete" name="plan_id_delete" type="hidden" class="form-control"
                                                                    dmx-bind:value="id">
 </form>
</dmx-data-detail>
 <p>By deleting this plan you will also delete all topics attached to the plan and all attached topic content, images and polls.</p>
<h6>Type the Name of the Plan to confirm delete:</h6>
</div>
</div>
1 Like

The Zip would contain the files used for the Tutorial.
It is no more confusing than that.
None of these Tutorials ever show the creation for ā€œall server models and database types.ā€

And when people report ā€œthis view described in the tutorial has changed since Version x.xxā€ someone says they might have time to get back and make a new tutorial based on say, Wappler 4.0.

The Tutorial is always a ā€œon this date, using this Wappler version x.xx, with a standard setup of this type of database and a typical node.js installationā€ if it is to illustrate a node.js environment, or the Tutorial is a demonstration of php, or whatever the Tutorial topic.

The code is a one-off WORKING example, nothing more. Exactly the same understanding as when we view a Tutorial via screenshots, text, gifs, etc.

You arenā€™t obligated to do any more than that.

In fact,

> Ben
@ben
has done this before!

Thank you for following up, Steven!

1 Like

Unless the tutorial was only related to client side features, I donā€™t know how you would avoid the issue of server models and database types. @benā€™s wCart tutorial for example uses PHP, MySQL and docker. In some cases, using a JSON file for the data source might be a solution.

It seems you insist on making this too difficult, Tom.

ANY tutorial I have seen in the past year QUALIFIES!

DONE

If a tutorial has not identified its host environment, it should. PERIOD.

If you made a tutorial, Staff or Users, you are showing how to tackle a specific problem or issue or to show a Feature of WAPPLER.

To do so, you probably went through the same steps ā€“ make a new project, identify target, yada yada-

We all understand the Special Environment as it pertains to which version of Wapper, the database, if using one, the remote hosting environment, the local hosting environment. Quite often seeing a Working Coded project for the specific task it addressed YOU know whether it interests you or not, or applies to you or not.

NODE.js projects are a particular headache if these forums are to be believed. But over and over and over I see the same Questions that follow this pattern ā€“

I did this by following a Tutorial.
Now Iā€™m stuck. I think I did everything RIGHT.
I followed it step-by-step but it fails.
What did I do wrong?
Please show us what you did.

Away we go! Post after post asking for, finally, letā€™s see the PAGE where this fails. More screenshots, please, too.

If the Tutorial CODE had been available simultaneously as a Generic working example for the said environment it COULD HAVE SAVED TIME for the frustrated User because it even might help to see the very similar or dissimilar steps that might now be traced to say, Permissions in an Amazon database, or the specific way Postgre might be the point of problem.

This is all I will say on the matter.

I think you insist on making it too easy :slightly_smiling_face:.

Anyway, if it is easy, I think itā€™s a good idea and perhaps your suggestion will be taken up (but I donā€™t think it is or will be).

No need to provide a zip with the code for each tutorial.
Just a single public GIT repository that contains a project with all the tutorials moving forward.
That way people can sync to this repository and pull the latest version anytime they need.

1 Like

Sounds good!
I hope this will be implemented for a lot of coming tutorials.
:grinning:

1 Like