Concerned about Wappler releases and stability of the software

What version of Wappler is stable for production use?
Wappler seems to focus on introducing new features and not stability.
I stumbled into a bug in Wappler 4.4.2 with response.php part of your core Lib.
The bug was fixed by downloading a zip file.
Please advise on how to select the production ready version of Wappler.
Thanks!

Hi @abotusa, unfortunately there is no such thing as a stable version as we have come to expect from other software developers as well as operating systems, with Wappler you either wait till you find one you love such as 3.9.9 and just ignore the upgrade notifications, or you upgrade every Thursday like most of us do.

I know it seems scary, but the reality is, I personally have done about 50 projects with Wappler in the last 2/3 years, always upgrading to the latest version every Thursday, and, yes from time to time bugs creep in that break things that were previously working, but normally they are easily fixable, and if not, and it is something pretty major then Wappler releases a patch in the form of a zip file within a few hours of it being reported, and in rare cases will redistribute an entire patched update for a more major error they have noted.

The big difference to Wappler, as I said before with the “normal” or how “other software developers” have stable releases and cutting edge releases, is that most other software I have dealt with, when you find a bug you could be waiting weeks or months for a fix, you ask in their forums and either they just ignore you or tell you they are aware and a new release scheduled for release in the third quarter of the year will address it. So I suppose my point is, under normal circumstances, i too would be nervous of running non stable releases, but considering they answer in minutes and fix in hours, it’s really not too bad at all.

For those who may not find errors semi easy to fix, I would possibly suggest they wait on their updating till Monday mornings and keep an eye on this community before updating to make sure they know what possible bugs have come up from all the other users who have acted like guinee pigs and done the update at the same minute it was released, which kind of makes it less likely you run into issues like this.

5 Likes

We are using 4.4.2 for our Projects. Occasionally we do have slight issues with the newest releases but we ALWAYS keep a backup (I can not emphasise the importance enough, and yes some may say that this shouldn’t be the case, BUT, if there is an issue we can revert in the interim if there is ever an issue). Like @psweb says above sometimes there are issues. But if they were that bad this Community wouldn’t have as many long-standing Users as it does, and that is down to the fact that bugs get reported, and again as mentioned above, if they can be patched with a quick fix they often are, and if they need a little more intervention it arrives quickly, and a full fix is usually contained within the very next update, within hours or a few days at most.

If it works back it up, then when it breaks you at least have a fallback if you can not wait for a fix. Only takes a few minutes to do so. Maybe a backup Project feature could be included at some point, might be a good feature suggestion! Saying that it’s not too difficult to copy a directory and paste it on to a USB drive, or schedule your OS to do this for you every few hours, day, or at your convenience…

3 Likes

Would be a great idea @dave, as many people are unaware that you could also have to backup your certificates in the docker folders, and would only backup their project files, which is fine for reverting to a previous version, but for disaster recovery inclusion that docker folder is a pretty important little guy to have. ls -l ~/.docker/machine/machines/

1 Like

Very good point! Am sure the Team are reading this as replies are added. :slight_smile: Would be very useful to carry out the backup from within Wappler, a prompt like the new replace files dialogue? Offer to backup first, then prompt to overwrite?

:slight_smile:

I feel greedy with my requests for Features having just had the Mobile SDK paths included…

:smiley:

1 Like

I’m one of those crazy people that have to update always as soon as an update comes out. I have been with Wappler since day one of pre-release and I can say I have never had a site/app break because of an update yet. (knocks on wood) As a matter of fact I recently did some minor updates to a site I did with Wappler Pre-Release and nothing broke.

Any bugs that do pop up are usually UI based in my experiences. And these are always addressed very quickly.

I have full trust in the small team that makes up Wappler. Support is second to none.

I see no reason to be concerned. :wink: :beers:

3 Likes

I think I’m quite perverse… I get quite excited if I do find a bug and report it first! Hahahahaha…

Then one of the Team steps in and politely informs me to RTFM Dave! And my joy subsides to shame, oh the shame!

:hot_face:

4 Likes

Could you please elaborate on this? What should I precisely back up? And how? Do I just save some of those files somewhere?

The approach in our team is to wait out an update or two or three, before upgrading.
If there are no bugs reported related to things we use, we upgrade. We are dependent on this helpful community to help us make the decision on when to upgrade.

Like others have said, Wappler team usually shares quick fix files for bugs or an urgent bug-fix-update for serious bugs.
But for cases when you don’t want to risk it, like us, just wait it out.

1 Like

For projects not using Docker, backing up your actual project folder is all you need, that includes the hidden .wappler folder etc, all self contained inside, however if you are using Docker with your project then you also need to backup its relevant certificates stored in your users folder in a hidden folder called .docker, this is the path on a mac ~/.docker/machine/machines/

Inside this machines folder you will find a sub folder of every project you have created that you used Docker hosting with. For PC I am uncertain but im sure a google search will tell you where that folder resides.

5 Likes

Like with every software update it is possible that there are new bugs in the update. If you have a stable version and you are almost finishing your project it could be wise to wait with the update until your project is finished. Like with any update it is always good practice to first create a backup of your project, so when there are some serious issues you could always go back. In most cases it is save to update and when there is a serious bug an extra update often fixes this.

6 Likes