Comments about the new Array List component

Looks great. Would be useful in replacing some custom formatters we have built over the years, and also replace the RunJS steps we have been using more recently.

One suggestion: Create a doc/docs explaining every single component in this new component set. Just explaining 4 out of 14 is not a good doc.

6 Likes

Agreed with Sid, this would replace most of my custom formatters / runjs stuff. So a much needed component!

Just playing around with it: am I doing this wrong?

I’m expecting to see my ‘initial value’ on the page now:
But it’s empty

Great new feature! This was always a headache for me

2 Likes

Well if you haven’t add any items to it or assigned a value it will be empty of course :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like contains doesn’t work:

Contains looks for direct values, not properties of objects.

Could you please explain a bit more?
Or give some examples?

Arrays can contain strings list:

{
    "myarray": [
        "San Francisco",
        "Boston",
        "Amsterdam",
        "Paris",
        "Tokyo"    
    ]
}

or objects:

"myarray": [
    {
        "city": "San Francisco"
    },
    {
        "city": "Boston"
    },
    {
        "city": "Amsterdam"
    },
    {
        "city": "Paris"
    },
    {
        "city": "Tokyo"
    }
]

So ["San Francisco","Boston","Amsterdam","Paris","Tokyo"] (first example) contains Paris

But [{"city":"San Francisco"},{"city":"Boston"},{"city":"Amsterdam"},{"city":"Paris"},{"city":"Tokyo"}] does not.

1 Like

There is already a formatter for this. Why create a module? :thinking:

1. I’m really looking forward to trying this new functionality! As said before, a much needed addition.

2. As @sid said, all this s/b documented fully. I’d like to add “and ideally, not in the forum”.

3. A really minor suggestion: to avoid redundancy, call the component only by the word “array” (or list, if you prefer). No need to call it “array list”.

2 Likes

Think of an invoice embedded in an email.

In other words, something that we have been asking for since the birth of Wappler.

2 Likes

Oh no, I am just talking about the array list contains module.
The complete set of modules is actually great and very useful.

Wappler docs website is linked to the commmunity/forum. https://docs.wappler.io/
Any docs created here are automatically available on the docs website as well.

I haven’t tried the new feature yet, but I have no doubt it will be very useful. However, I wouldn’t expect it to make it easier to embed an invoice in an email. Would it be very different to putting line items + some HTML into a variable, using a repeat, and incorporating the variable into the email?

Actually a lot easier and cleaner than using repeats, variables with global names etc.

1 Like

@Sid: found it, thanks.

Very exciting update. Thanks guys!!

Quick question:
Is there a reason for the steps under Data Transformation (Add Columns, Rename Columns, Filter Columns, Join, which too seem to be related to arrays), to be placed in a different folder as the 14 components announced with the 5.3.3 release?

I found that you can access the posting from the DOCS link Wappler Documentation - Working with Server Connect Array Lists

the images do not show properly. See an excerpt here:

This does not happen if I access it from the FORUM using this link:

The same excerpt looks like this;

Fixed.

1 Like