Capacitor or Cordova and databases

With the update to the latest version 5.3.1 and consequent improvements of Capacitor, I’m trying to understand how I can best use Wappler to create iOS and Android Apps
I’ve set up a new Mobile App project with Capacitor following Teodor’s instructions, and everything seems fine; both iOS and Android are installed correctly with System Check

I state that at the moment my interest is to create Mobile Apps that use the data present in existing websites (some on Server in PHP and others on Cloud in NodeJS) that use MySql databases

Here are some important questions:
1- For my needs is it better to use Cordova or Capacitor?
2- Is it better to set Bootstrap or Framework for my needs?
3- To use the data present in the mySql databases of the reference sites in real time, how is it better to do with PHP and/or with nodeJS?
4- Using SQLite is it possible to populate it with data from the mySql database?

Thank you

1 Like

Perhaps the better db solution is to wait for the imminent release of couchDB and pouchDB integration. Hoping it will be released mid January

3 Likes

I think the Wappler dev team are planning a lot of work on their Capacitor integration, we decided as a company we were going down the Capacitor route almost a year ago, main reason was the PWA support and the cross platform flexibility that was on offer.

We got our fingers burned many moons ago with an IOS app we created, we then had problems with Android and Windows integrations and versioning across them all. It was an expensive mistake. We then tried PhoneGap and found it woeful, we put all that side of the dev work on a back burner until something more suitable came along - it certainly took a while for it to happen but Capacitor is a clear winner for us.

Like you, we also base our data on MySQL/MariaDB databases and have no concerns about any (if there is any) possible additional work to do for working with Capacitor - whatever work there is for us to do pales into insignificance when compared to what we went though above.

Thanks for your answers
I don’t know couchDB and pouchD at all, so I’ll try to find out
In any case, I didn’t understand if with couchDB and pouchD the data source remains the mySql database of the already existing and functioning sites

If I understood correctly then, if PouchDB and CouchDB will be implemented in Wappler, it will be possible in a Mobile project (made with Cordova or Capacitor) to easily interact with the mySql database of an existing site.
However, wanting to create mobile projects connected to mySql of existing sites, I have different needs.
Some of my mobile projects need mySql data from nodeJS sites on Cloud Server / Ubuntu / mySql; for these I think certainly PouchDB and CouchDB can be used without problems.
But I also have other mobile projects that need a connection with PHP sites and mySql databases on Hosting servers. In some cases, the Providers do not allow direct connection to the database in Wappler’s Database Manager
In the latter case, can PouchDB and CouchDB still be used?

For that depth of detail we need to see what the final release offers. I suspect you ask too much of it.

hahaha
I suspect too
I’m pretty sure with nodeJS Cloud Ubuntu sites won’t give me any problems
But unfortunately I also have sites that are on shared hosting servers, not by my will and often have overly secured databases

Replication is between couch/pouch DB server only I believe, to extend this to legacy SQL DB’s would need some sort workflow data migration I suspect.

1 Like

However for some projects, if the request is only to retrieve the data to be displayed from mySql (texts and images) perhaps there will be no major problems
Different speech if from the mobile app you need to modify, insert or delete contents of the database