Capacitor, Cross-platform Native Runtime for Web Apps

Aren’t app stores mainly iOS looking into stopping Cordova like apps and only allowing native ones? Im not sure how true this is it only looked like rumours but was something I saw somewhere I may be completely wrong about it

No mention from Android on this @Sorry_Duh . Apple are a whole other ball game.

This is what you are looking for.

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#minimum-functionality

So if your app is not a repurposed website there should be no problem.

2 Likes

As I likely won’t be doing too many new apps, I would still like to develop more features for my current app. So I if this can be added without breaking current projects I think it is a good step.

I also spent a good part of this morning looking over the Capacitor site and especially plugins. Seems everything I need is there in some format. However, the plugin documentation is severely lacking. Not sure I would get much use of it without a lot of help from this community.

As a company developing mobile applications we know where our priorities lay. We won’t neglect IOS we will develop for it at some point but the numbers do the talking with regards to the majority of devices and their OS choice in use right now…

Know you like a chart @JonL (cough, php, node, cough). :slight_smile:

LMAO

1 Like

To be honest mate its quite shocking. Is a major factor is deciding where to spend money for the clients though. They want Android apps, IOS is not the priority for ours at least, all of which have said IOS can wait until we have the spare capital so push the Android version out first…

1 Like

If you think about it unless you are creating a game, the next app that will take the world by storm or big ticket enterprise apps you are better of putting resources on Android.

I believe it’s only in those 3 scenarios where you should develop for both platforms(if you have the money).

1 Like

We have been checking out producing fully native mobile applications (is this what Capcitor offers?) but this will probably be outside of Wappler and a whole new side to our business (again not sure if Capacitor is capable of this?). I’m not sure how Wappler could accommodate such builds? We love the current implementation of Cordova as right now it is getting our toes in the water and the job done. We would however like to improve upon our mobile offerings and technologies. We also get a 50/50 request for Material over Bootstrap which right now we are neglecting entirely. I did raise a vote to include other frameworks like Material but I think its not happening any time soon. Its the trouble for all, or the majority of us, I believe… What we can offer and what we would like to offer. Now Wappler has set the bar so high with what it can do creating other types of applications outside of Wappler’s remit has become a real burden and extremely time consuming. Whichever way things go we’ll be sticking with Wappler. Would just be nice to move away from Bootstrap reliance (without the only alternative being FW7). A big task and ask I know and understand, so I won’t be pushing for it. Already appreciate the teams focus, commitment, and future plans for Wappler. We can wait for the rest to catch-up.

1 Like

I believe other frontend frameworks would be availabe through App Connect extensibility platform. They already hinted this possibility although I believe it’s not high on the priority list. Also you or the community in a joint effort would have to create such integration.

I was looking forward to adding Tailwind whenever the AC extensibility is completed.

3 Likes

Our team would be well up for this! We work with about 10 developers here. All areas. Front and back, UI and UX, etc etc. We pass Projects among ourselves if one can’t do it, or do not have the skill set or knowledge, we pass it to the next, and vice versa. Opening up an extensibility program would be huge to get these people involved. Most all ready contribute to dozens of Open Source projects. Would certainly be interesting to see what comes of this idea!

1 Like

yes definitely it would be great if tailwind is added. :+1:

Capacitor is now available in Wappler 4.5

2 Likes