Can't update a 'text' database field with a textarea. Can only update string + text pinut

Wappler Version : 3.0.1
Operating System : Mac
NodeJS Aoo

Expected behavior

I should be able to store text area text in a ‘text’ dB field.

Actual behavior

No update happens, text input updates into a string field works fine, but on the same form that successfully submits) the text area > text field type in the same dB record doesn’t update, and just simply shows the default entry.

Are you sure there are not errors when submitting the form? Are you sure your textarea name is the same as the POST variable name you are trying to insert and is it properly selected in the update record step in your server action?

Also what do you mean by a string field here:

What is the exact field type?

Hi @Teodor yes of course, as I’m new I basically follow your guides to the letter.

I created unique id’s and names for the form, and the form fields. Then I use the globals and import the form fields from that page. In the database update I then choose the correct fields e.g.
Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 8.10.47 am

And this is the field i’m trying to update in the db:
Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 8.11.36 am

What if you bind this textarea value in a setValue step in the server action and enable output for the setvalue?
Do you see the textarea value in the setvalue in your dev tools / network tab after running the insert?

Done as asked, I get no additional output info in network tab when doing this.

Can you provide screenshots of how is currently your server action set up and also the result in the network/xhr tab?

@Teodor I’m actually having this issue with any table field type ‘text’ across the entire app, none are showing anything more than just the ‘default’ entry

I need to see some screenshots as requested, otherwise I can only try to guess what the issue could be.
Also do you see the inputs data sent in the request when you submit the form?

Standard text input form works perfectly.

I understand, I’m getting some screenshots together now for you.

@Teodor full breakdown:

APP SIDE

form and form inuts all with unique titles
Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 8.56.03 am

Each form field has a dynamic attribute value (so that it displays the current input) e.g.
Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 8.57.31 am
(this is correctly picked from the server connect).

Button is submit and form is set to server action form with the correct server side action.

SERVER SIDE ACTION:

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 8.59.55 am

Steps:
Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 9.00.27 am

Inputs mapped:

As the output is hidden, nothing is returned in the network tab other than a ‘200’.

What about the setvalue step, is the output enabled for it?
Does it return anything?
Do you see the input value in the request headers when you submit the form?

For the test, yes I set the setvalue step as an output, nothing displayed.

The text input field works fine

@mgaussie
Can you check if your textarea has a name attribute assigned? If not, please add it - use the same value for the name as the id.

So if you have:

<textarea id="text1" class="form-control"></textarea>

please change it to:

<textarea name="text1" id="text1" class="form-control"></textarea>

that fixed it. This field didn’t have a name attribute.

Weird. How did you create the input - using the form generator or was it using the insert menu?

Always using the add new component in your UI

I see, we will have to improve this then.