Came over from Bubble; absolutely overwhelmed

Hi all,

I’m bracing for the replies but I’m honestly so overwhelmed. I can see there’s a few youtube videos and courses but Bubble is 1000x easier than this. I have zero coding skills, zero knowledge of what a Docker Desktop is or why I’d even need it, what “NodeS” is versus “PHP” etc. Am I at the level to which I need to go learn coding before even touching Wappler or can I learn as I go?

Can anybody push me into the right direction of where to start, how to learn etc. I can confidently say a lot of Bubblers are going to feel the way I am.

Update: I’ve already had to download three softwares, something about Linux Kennel. I’m downloading stuff and haven’t a clue what I’m downloading, why or even what use it has.

It definitely feels like Wappler is built for confident coders that want their life a little more visual and easier rather than no coders.

Thanks in advance,

Ash

1 Like

Don’t overthink the server model. Go with node.js. It’s arguably the most modern of Wappler’s server model offerings.

Try watching @ben’s playlist on how to build a node.js app in Wappler. It covers a lot.

2 Likes

A couple months ago I moved over from using bubble for 2 years. The first day I had the same reaction, but believe me, in a few days you will understand a lot more already.

I started using Wappler accepting that I can create anything with it. Just went trough it step by step, and I not long after it became easier to use than Bubble.

The easiest way to learn is to start building your project.

I don’t know what you mean about linux kennel as I didn’t have anything like that.

• Go once trough all (latest) videos on nodejs project on Wappler’s youtube channel.
  • I recommend you to start with a nodejs project with postgresql
  • Break down all the functionalities that your app needs and just start building step by step, 99% of the questions that you’ll have, you’ll find an answer to in this forum
4 Likes

tl;dr The initial hurdles are much bigger than the ones after if you can hang in there at first (these concepts only have to be learned once!)

Hi Ash, I think a lot of the reason Bubble seemed so simple is that a lot of options were set up in the background (server type, connection, etc. – and whatever choice was made is the only option you got, so it’s easy to use Bubble without knowing how to choose these options)

But after just using the Wappler app a few times, the difference between editing locally and editing remotely in a browser is huge! Saves are fast, edits don’t feel clunky, and even the trackpad interactions are better. So I am seeing some positives right away.

But, like many development programs, Wappler gives you a lot of flexibility. If I am understanding right, with Wappler your project looks different than on Bubble.

On Bubble your web browser was used to do this: Idea on Bubble > Add Functionality > Add Data > Test > Publish

On Wappler, these same steps can generally take place and in the same order, but you will have the Wappler app on your desktop for development, then you can test locally OR online, then you publish to a web host of your choice. Bubble handled these steps in the browser, but on Wappler some of these steps will be in the desktop app, and others will be with your web host.

So, although the lingo and steps may be foreign seeming, there is a lot of overlap in the general frameworks if you have much time in with Bubble. In fact, I see a lot of the same basic underlying libraries as options in Wappler that Bubble uses (oddly, Bubble’s version is way older if I am reading right compared to Wappler’s included versions)

Getting acclimated is definitely going to take some time and effort, but I think that Wappler might be the best fit out there as a Bubble replacement (without losing flexibility; there are some options like Bubble that have some features of Bubble but aren’t flexible enough)

Best of luck and please keep us updated on your progress if you continue.

6 Likes

That’s an awesome reply @plaidpixel

2 Likes

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

I’ll let you know how I get on! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@mrashprice how are things going for you so far? I have found this place to be extremely friendly, so don’t hesitate to reach out for help or post another question if you are trying to make the most of the free trial

1 Like

Hi @mrashprice,

After 2 years of using bubble, I recently decided to try and build my first app on wappler.
There’s an insanely underrated youtube channel called “what’s wappler” that I found very useful and had helped me a lot youtube channel

Whoever that guy is, I would like to thank him for doing these videos.

6 Likes

I believe it’s @Adetoyinbo1

2 Likes

I am glad my contents helped you. :grinning:

3 Likes