Buppler or Wabble, pre-sale general considerations

Hi everyone, first time posting here.

I don’t come from Bubble, I did’nt start yet with Wapper, I’m currently hesitating between the two ways, or should I say, the two sides of the Force.

There are some points that make me feel Wapper could be the right tool for me, and a few obstacles I’d like to discuss with you :

• I’m quite used to old school databases (learned with Access in the 90’s)
  • but it’s abolutely not my job.
  • in the past, I’ve build a few website with Wordpress, and for that I rent a Virtual Private Server, that I own now.
  • same with a MySQL database, in top of which I could build a Windows Form Application (with Visual Studio). This tool is really bad coded, and I know it (I learned everything by myself and I missed a lot of fundamentals). But it works (probably with a messy or totally absent security).

So, this helps me feeling closer to Wappler than Bubble. Maybe I would feel more comfortable if some of you agreed with that.

Now, I need to create some “On demand” Marketplace, with payment, agendas, etc. And of course, I would prefer not to do the whole work twice.

Bubble seems to be so easy, but I just started now some test app, and my mouth fell on the ground when I saw that it’s not possible, for example, to decide about relationships, primary keys… And I read other threads in the present forum, which conviced me that Bubble is not the right tool for me. Or at least that limitations will occur soon.

I went then first towards CASPIO, but was immediatly discouraged by their 20th century looking UI.

So. Could you reassure myself about a few specs that I’m afraid of not finding here ?

• that’s really a detail, but is it possible to use some very nice looking preformatted phone data picker, and some Adress control able to autosuggest any street in the world ? Yes, I know, this could seems a bit unnecessary (even frivolous), but I’m very attentive to the user’s experience. And if we go further, more generally speaking, to what extent does this type of “modern” control exist into Wappler ? Are there somewhere some plugins ?

• as I know almost nothing about security, is there here some simple procedures to garantee data transfer security between the future web app and my server ? This point is particularly sensitive, of course, and this a matter where Bubble seems to be winning the game (since they take care of the accommodation and security themselves).

• I ask myself the same question for backups and application updates.

Thank you very much,

Michel

1 Like

Bubbler for 4 years.
Wappler for 0.8 years.

Wappler any time.

I have a coding background though so I might be a bit biased.

It can all be summarized in one word: freedom. You can achieve anything if you follow Wappler’s route. It might be easy or hard. But you can get there. You might even not use Wappler and just hard code things. That is the freedom of owning your code.

With Bubble you will hit roadblocks. A lot of times.

6 Likes

Hey Michel,

Glad you have reached out to us! :slight_smile: Here are my thoughts…

Bubble 2 years.

• Took a massive business admin product almost to launch.
  • Felt into my fears of lack of control over hosting, costs, environment and database access speed and threw it all away to start again with Wappler.
  • Is great if your app isn’t too big, too complex, you don’t want too much flexibility and won’t have too many users.

Wappler 4 months.

• It’s been a big learning curve… 2-3 months
  • Am flying now and hope to launch late summer.
  • Support is outstanding. I had constant support even through this easter weekend!
  • Will suit your technical background.
  • Need to find your own hosting world… I’m going with AWS Elastic Beanstalk for exactly the security reasons you describe… it has been a big learning curve too, but feels very safe and manageable and can grow as my user base grows.
  • You do need to take more care of security yourself in Wappler, but once you realise what is being stored where where then it becomes quite intuitive.
  • No plugins, but lots of nice features in the product now like an amazing calendar for example. I never used plugins in Bubble as I don’t want my product reliability to be dependent on others I can’t control.
  • Lots of API support to go get all the data you need from elsewhere.

I hope that helps!

Best wishes,
Antony.

5 Likes

Don’t forget pricing too.

If you stop paying the bill with Bubble your app will no longer stay online. If for some reason you wish to cancel your Wappler subscription (I’m sure you won’t), your code will still function and your app can still be hosted online.

4 Likes

Thank you gentlemen.

I’ve downloaded the beast and will try to connect my first DB today.

Keep you posted.

Michel