Browser Wars 2021

In case you’ve not been following the Browser Wars for a long while:

This article is an update on the top RENDER ENGINES powering the current most-used browsers. What is really frustrating, I think, for developers, is that HOW your Application performs or Works AT ALL depends on what JS libraries you used. Some sites will only render in Chrome based browsers.

The divergence of browsers is no more settled now in 2021 than back 20 something years ago. And now browsers are also judged by Battery Life – big differences in how they suck up power in laptops & portable devices.

In the article he has now shifted to Firefox – even replacing Safari on his Mac.

And here’s an article on Google Chrome’s continuing setting standards for developing apps that are choosing to focus on Chrome browsers.

Plus an article on the browsers within the Chrome realm –

1 Like

Yeah, who would have thought? smh.

I switched to Firefox years ago because their privacy and Web Dev tools were better - particularly the CSS Grid tool. Today, Firefox is struggling financially. Last year they laid off 25% of their workforce, reduced investment in developer tools and future feature development.

It’s ironic that their biggest revenue source is Google who pays to have Google Search as the Firefox default search engine but the further they lose market share, the less Google pays and on and on it goes…

I switdhed to DuckDuckGo as a search engine but its searches are not as comprehensive as Google. As far as cookies tracking all over I installed a Firefox extension called “Cookie Editor”
I use it frequently to just wipe out trackers left from website visits which is a hassle if you are returning to frequently Logged In sites – I don’t erase wappler.io history, or an email login, for instance.

But newspaper & magazine sites that leave hundreds of cookies over time get a frequent Delete ALL by Clicking the Cookie Editor icon overhead in my FF browser.

For such sites that track how many articles you’ve read I’ll delete that site’s cookies just so I get to read a few more articles past the default Free limit.

But Yes, just as FireFox is getting recommends by different columnists it is struggling to keep its own fork going.