Bootstrap CDN vs Bootstrap Local

Is there a general consensus on whether to use Bootstrap CDN or Bootstrap Local for a new project?

My instinct says Bootstrap Local because then you’ll have everything you need locally hosted and you eliminate an external dependency (potential point of failure), but I notice that a lot of people seem to go with Bootstrap CDN as opposed to Bootstrap Local and I was curious as to why and curious about which of the two options is generally recommended by Wapplers and the Wappler team.

Much appreciated.

For us we use local if we are making modifications directly to the Bootstrap files themselves, otherwise we’ll go with a CDN. No real reason behind this though aside from what I mentioned … :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, @Dave.

When adding Bootstrap CDN or Bootstrap Local as a framework, I notice that Wappler also adds Font Awesome and jQuery Slim. Why? Is Bootstrap 4 dependent on Font Awesome and jQuery Slim?

Yes jquery and fontawesome are required for bootstrap 4.

In the upcoming Bootstrap 5 - jquery won’t be used any more.

1 Like

Thanks, @George.

Does Wappler allow for a smooth upgrade of Bootstrap for an existing web app?

For example, say I built out my web app in Wappler using Bootstrap 4 and then I decide I want to upgrade that web app to Bootstrap 5.

Will the UI just continue to work as is or will I basically have to rebuild the UI in Wappler under the new Bootstrap 5 framework?

Hi had a bit of a lag yesterday (around 5 seconds) when the page was pulling from the Bootstrap CDN. So decided to run with the files locally hosted going forward

I am curious about this too.
Still converting BS3 sites to BS4!!

If there is a need to convert from Bootstrap 4 to 5, we will provide a converter just as from 3 to 4

But it looks like there won’t be major structural changes in Bootstrap 5 - so sites made in Bootstrap 4 will probably work directly.

1 Like

I like to use the bootstrap local, if the site I am creating is for a local restaurant that people globally would have very little interest in.
I use bootstrap CDN when my site has global traffic, as in my thinking a Content Delivery Network is generally going to be faster and more efficient in supplying the user the required files. Most CDNs use multiple servers in various geographic locations which also means your user will probably get the files faster locally or from their ISPs cache server than downloading the files from your local server which could be on the other side of the world for them.

1 Like

But will we still be able tot use BS4 in Wappler on sites we have currently built? Or will they have to be converted to BS5 to be able to edit them?

1 Like

We will support both BS 4 and 5 - so choice is yours

5 Likes

That’s great, as I am just finishing up a big dashboard and I’d hate to risk a BS5 conversion.

5 Likes

Thanks for asking Brad, I was thinking the same, I must say the bs3 to bs4 scared me enough to make me not want to try it again.

2 Likes