Argon2 package fix has regressed

Wappler Version : v5.5.1
Operating System : macOS Monterey 12.6
Server Model: node js
Database Type: postgresql
Hosting Type: docker

Expected behavior

What do you think should happen?

When I deploy my application that uses Argon2 hashing to a docker-machine (using Wappler) I would expect it to work.

Actual behavior

What actually happens?

Wappler keeps removing the argon2 package form package.json

Note: this was raised as an earlier issue and resolved (Missing Argon2 module when deploying app to docker machine that uses Argon2). However, the problem is back and as painful as before.

How to reproduce

Build an application that uses Argon2. Deploy it to a docker machine using Wappler. Watch the missing module error when you try to log in with Argon2 hashing.

Hi team, is there any chance you can fix this for the next release? It’s a small issue, but a niggly one. Hopefully it shouldn’t take much time to fix.

Have you used a hash argon2 action in any of your server connect actions? This Willemsen the argon2 module as used and then it will be auto added.

Hi George, I’m using it inside a Library module which looks like the following:

I manually added the Argon2 dependency to my package.json as it wasn’t being added. However, Wappler keeps trying to remove it (instead of leaving it there).

Does it make a difference that the call is inside a Library module and not under the API section?

If it helps at all, it definitely happens after a Wappler restart:

@George Does any of the above help in diagnosing this issue?

I’ve also noticed that the dependency gets removed when you switch between projects in Wappler.

You could always make a dummy route and add the relevant Argon2 step to test this theory (and workaround while Wappler doesn’t release a fix)

George’s taking a break due to a personal incident, so you might need to wait a few weeks to get a reply from him

Ah ok, thanks for the update. I hope everything goes well for him.

@George sorry to be a pain, but this problem continues to drive me insane. Is there any way we can get the Argon2 package to stay in package.json when the Argon2 module is being used in Password Hash action in a backend API endpoint?

Bump++

Update… this issue still exists today. The main problem is that I am using the Argon2 functions in a Library module. Wappler is not noticing that it’s being used and so is automatically removing it from package.json any chance it gets. I find myself continuously having to manually re-add it.

However, should anyone else have this issue then there is a workaround. Create a dummy API endpoint and add the “Password Hash” item to it. Wappler will then spot that the Argon2 package is being used.

I’m not totally cool in having to expose a dummy endpoint to workaround this issue, but it will have to do until this is properly fixed.

1 Like

Might be worth adding a security restrict to the dummy API call

1 Like

Great shout @scalaris :ok_hand:

1 Like

Could you check if this still happens in Wappler 6.1.3

We have made some improvements in there.