Are there near-term plans to support more server providers for docker machines?

Superb. Will this include S3 buckets support with Vultr?

That was next on my list indeed. Both Vultr and Linode support S3 compatible Object Storage which is quite nice.

So will add the support for that as well.

2 Likes

Yessssssss. :beers:

Now that’s taking action :smiley:

Not that I am surprised though!

1 Like

Thanks @George. That’s amazing stuff. It certainly makes deployment so much easier for those not so use to server management.

Amazing stuff. So glad I asked the question :grin:

1 Like

I just use their S3 object storage and I am happy. It is compatible with Wappler S3 integration.

1 Like

Any chance you can have a look at Cloudways? Thanks

They do a managed service on-top of VPS/Cloud providers right? I was reading up on them today but not really my thing.

I’ll let George answer but I’d imagine it would be a lot harder with them as they use multiple VPS/Cloud providers and provide a managed service on top of them… Interesting though…

Further to this Linode also offer a ‘Linode Kubernetes Engine’ or LKE which might not impact most people, but I’m beginning to think that a multi-instance Kubernetes cluster approach may just be the ideal architecture and deployment strategy for my app and business needs.

1 Like

Kubernetes is a whole new area that we follow closely as it is definitely the future.
It comes into place and to its real power however on more larger installments - like when your site runs on multiple servers (cluster) with load-balancing, fail-over etc.

Currently our users have more than plenty on a single server that can be easily upgraded.

Deploying to multiple server is more complex issue that Kubernetes solve. However as with every power it comes more responsibility - so the process becomes much more complex.

Many providers like Digital ocean and Linode already offer managed Kubernetes to make this more easy (but also to let you buy more servers :wink: )

So as our user base grow we will definitely grow also in support for cluster deploy solutions like Kubernetes and maybe even go to new grounds like “infrastructure as code” with solutions like Terraform.

Cloudways seem like a wrapper of the existing providers that we already support. They also support Digital Ocean, Linode, Vultr and AWS (seems like the most common choice this days :slight_smile: ) https://www.cloudways.com/en/pricing.php

They seem provide a nice panel on top of the existing providers one.
It seems to me it is better just to use the providers directly - with all their possibilities.

2 Likes

I believe cloudways doesn’t have docker machine support. They do have though an API you could interact with with a simple Wappler App.

Agreed. The user base that uses and understands containers is too small yet to introduce k8s.

2 Likes

This is why I have chosen AWS as they have all these things without needing to learn Kubernetes - it is all managed in an easy way with a GUI.

Yes, it will be more expensive, but for me I’m going for a solid environment I can learn and stick with from the start, and will grow as my user base grows.

I think using AWS can also be a selling point for my app being highly professional, reliable and secure.

1 Like

Yes, these are all things I’m beginning to realise and think about…At times I think “Ahh hell with it…just throw it all in with AWS and forget about it”. And other times I think there are better solutions available… Only time will tell.

@Antony which DB at AWS ate you using? Aurora?

Are you able to use the Wappler DB manager with it?

Philip, I’m using MySql 8 with AWS RDS. Aurora itself is actually a DB that supports both Postgres and MySql type databases. I don’t see you having any issues with Wappler using the DB itself.

Noting, Aurora is more expensive than going for a straight postgres or MySql dB, and the free tiers (which are generous) are only applicable I believe to Postgres or MySql but you might need to check that.

I find the UI is a little less user friendly than the likes of Digital Ocean / Linode etc. - but as you scale AWS basically has every additional service you could want to add to your infrastructure and unlimited scaling capacity globally.

I also find that the costs can easily be offset with some of the free tier stuff - such as SES - 64k free emails per month on the free tier…

Wappler enabling the deployment to AWS was brilliant and really simplifies the use of AWS.

1 Like

AWS can be more expensive but you are right its reliability and security is great. I have been using them to manage my Saas applications for 8 years now and its capabilities and cost have come down over time.

As you get to know the demand on your app and the right size of the Beanstalk / EC2 and RDS look at investing in the saving plans and RDS reserve instances. It will cut down the cost significantly! The savings plans are great because the discount is not applied to a particular instance size, it just discounts the total cost. Unfortunately you have to commit to a RDS reserve instance to get the best savings. But, be weary of the storage costs for the instances they can be expensive and catch you unaware!

3 Likes

Awesome