Anyone Fancy a UK Meet Up

You know what, that is a fantastic idea, one that the whole community should embrace. What do you think the format should be?

I’d be up for that :slight_smile:

Good question!

Maybe a kind of “speed dating” format, so we can all get to know a bit about each other?

Or maybe we could each have two minutes to introduce ourselves to the group and then break out into one or two separate group sessions depending on our interests?

Then in the future we could have a meeting every fortnight for example with a chosen topic such as hosting, security, database management… whatever we all think is good to share face to face.

We used to do this kind of thing with Bubble and it worked really well!

I’m very used to hosting Zoom calls, so I don’t mind holding the space for us in a balanced way at least to get started.

The we could also have distinguished guests too (@George, @Teodor, @patrick…or of course you would all be welcome to join in anyway)… or if one of us knows a complete guru in a particular area maybe they could be invited along.

The idea will be especially useful now as we will all be self isolating for the next 3 months anyway… :thinking:

What do you think?

Antony.

PS - does anyone know how to split this off into a separate topic now on the idea of a video meet up?

3 Likes

I think only admins can split a topic.

@Antony Very happy for you to take the lead on this. Video calls need to have a lead host for it to work effectively. I’m really excited by this, and think it makes perfect sense for us to grow the adoption of Wappler.

Think we should do a few dry runs of this to see how the format works, but in due course (maybe after a couple of sessions) we should think about recording these and sticking them on youtube for the wider audience to pick up. From my experience with the Webflow community, this could make a huge difference to new users coming into the platform. I’m still at the very early stages of learning, so sharing all of our collective this experience, thoughts, insights with others could be a great asset in them onboarding.

Love the guest speaker Idea, we could get some of the maker community to show and showcase the amazing work they have been doing (thinking @mebeingken and others). I’m engaged somewhat with the #nocode community and would be interested get them involved down the line too.

Should we start by extending this out to the wider community, by creating a new topic that’s not only for those of us in the UK. I would suggest that we just pluck some dates (2 weekly), and go for it. My availability is roughly the same https://zvite.co/i/E9XpjrI0

We should have a rough agenda for the session so we know roughly what we are going to discuss. Like the Idea of speed dating to start, as we’ll be coming in from all directions. There is so much in these forums, and with @George dropping releases every week, I doubt we’ll ever run out of things to talk about.

Let’s do this thing :blush:

1 Like

Hi All,
just my thoughts…

1. Face-to-face meet-up would be great to ‘shake hands’ with fellow Wapplers, but could be quite costly both financially and time-wise for most of us. It would be great longer term with a structured agenda.
  2. I think a video conference call would be very helpful and productive in the short term.
  3. I am happy to be a guinea pig in trying to set things up.
  4. An agenda needs to be collated and shared beforehand for a conference call. People need to put forward their items for consideration. Do we need to vote on items to include because the list could become very large if not controlled? Or do we leave that in the hands of the lead?
  5. A simple personal introduction from each attendee would be good. It would need to be limited in some way as us old folk can rabbit on about our past experiences :slight_smile:
  6. The ability to show screens or graphics may help some to explain their items.
  7. Encourage people to have prepared notes, graphics etc as this would help to reduce waffle and prolonged air-time gaps.
  8. I don’t mind when these are scheduled for, I assume most people would prefer them to be in work time ie Monday to Friday, 9 to 5. Unless you are like me and tend to work at any hour of the day 24/7!
  9. I don’t think these should be confused with or replace any of the superb video tutorials that have been created so far. They are still very much needed and should be kept separate.
  10. I think this is a great idea and look forward to the first of many.

Cheers
Neil

2 Likes

How about a Zoom meetup initially where we just turn up, introduce ourselves and just chat informally for a bit? A kind of coffee lounge where we all see and hear each other. Then we can be a little more formal at the next one?

Zoom do a free account limited to 40 mins and 100 attendees. I reckon that’s plenty for a first stab at this.

I love the idea of guest speakers. Maybe they can showcase their work and take us through any particular features they’re pleased with or any struggles they faced.

2 Likes

Hey guys with all this corona virus madness do you think it’s a good time for a meet-up? Maybe after July would be better.

We’re doing it online :wink:

1 Like

@Antony Do you want to set this up for some time next week? Give it a try and iterate as we go :laughing: