Amazon Lightsail hosting

@brad A few months ago I started work on a Hosting and Workflow course, but client work has kept me from finishing. With a 4.0 refresh of the Getting started course in the wings, I have no idea when I’ll get back to the Hosting course.

One of the videos I did create though, was how to host on Amazon using Lightsail and Node as it is cheaper and more predictable than EC2. I’ve gone ahead and posted it in case it’s helpful to anybody:

And there is a shorter video for Lightsail and PHP:

5 Likes

Thanks Ken! I will definately have a look at them tonight!

@mebeingken, can you also host your own domain name and email with it?

Yes, I show in the video how to use your own domain. I haven’t looked at email.

1 Like

Lightsail also offer Containerised instances too now:

Just send a docker image from Wappler to it. I’ve been meaning to try it but haven’t had time yet. It should make deployment easier!

1 Like

You would be surprised Brad. Dedicated server hosting is a lot more expensive believe me mate. That and the shear responsibilities of running servers with TBs of client data on them… So for us the bills are tiny in comparison. Suppose its all about scale really…

1 Like

And then there is me.

I have dozens of projects on-going of all types(Enterprise, SaaS, Side-Projects and home self-hosting) and I only pay for the domains.

I take use of every single free resource I can find. I have this huge landscape built around always free tier resources(Heroku, Oracle Cloud, Backblaze, Scaleway, etc) and temporary free tier resources (AWS, GCP and Azure).

It requires additional management of course…but on the bright side I have mo’money for beers.

2 Likes

Thanks for the videos and your time to put them together. Unfortunately in the Node one for a huge chunk of the video the screen is cut off and can’t see what you are typing in the command line. :frowning:

1 Like

Ha! Serves me right for posting without doing the post production work. I’ll have a look and update.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know @brad I uploaded an update.

1 Like

No problem. Valuable video. Thank you so much for your time putting it together and sharing! :beers:

1 Like