Alternative WYSIWYG editors

First I’ve got to say that pasted text from Word documents is very well cleaned by Medium Editor. Also the handling of text is very nice. But that’s all.

There is no way to easily add any other kind of html code. Yes, I know it’s a text editor. But adding a simple table is a nightmare. Adding a button link simply impossible (especially change anything added). We can’t even add a target attr to a link. Images can be added but no Youtube videos.

In order to support tables, we had to implemented a complicated solution that converts ul and ol into tables on the page. The lack of table support is a big problem!

Either Medium editor has to be extended or replaced by another tool that supports at least a minimum of html code.

Another problem with Medium Editor is that it seems it’s no longer being developed. The issue of replacing it has cropped up before:

… so perhaps the first thing is deciding on a suitable alternative. I suggested getcontenttools.com in the thread referred to above. https://trix-editor.org/ looks interesting too.

Perhaps this thread could be turned into a more specific request. Any other suggestions?

1 Like

I know some of you have tried Summernote. I’ve integrated it into my design but not got around to using it yet. Be interested to hear people’s experience of it. It is a bit of a faff to set up, but then all the menus and things can be set with a simple little script.

When using the editor in a form inside some admin page then I would suggest something like Summernote. If used to make areas in a page directly editable on the front-end then content tools looks like the best tool.

Please let us know what kind of features you expect and how you want to use the editor, should it be used as part of a form or should it make parts of a page editable.

If you have better alternatives then also let us know.

2 Likes

We’re using medium editor in our cms. For blog posts but also for fields where text formatting is required.

The main problem we encounter with our clients is that they just can’t get rid of word formatting. They expect to copy&paste content from world and all of the nasty formatting should be removed by the system. Medium editor is doing a great job here.

On the other hand it’s needed to add tables sometimes. Even for just a small info content, adding tables with medium editor is a big problem. Either solve it with a conversion application as we do or by adding table content from another database table. But this is not really usable either.

Also it should be possible to format links, adding videos (youtube) easily.

Actually some kind of HTMLEditor with the cleaning capabilities of medium editor (wwhich is a must).

I have noticed that MediumEditor has some Extensions for image upload, tables etc

Many years ago we used to use CKEditor which, at the time, was really good. I see it has been updated/improved but I have no idea how it compares and if it is any good.

https://n1ed.com/plugins/n1ed

I’ve been using this with varying degrees of success. I’m guessing it might work a bit better on php, then on asp. We ended up installing PHP on the windows server to get it to work. But if you get the bootstrap plugin you are able to deal with the responsive design. Which is cool.

The one I like the look of most is https://grapesjs.com/. This would give a full page-editor and mean I could build an entire site in Wappler without any need of things like Wordpress.

Did you progress with the integration?

Yes, this an interesting one. People copy and paste from so many places… with all sorts of junk that comes with it.

I had the same issues in Bubble, and ended up writing custom regex in a flow to get rid of it with a [Clean up] button.

So clean pasting from different places is very important for my users.

Well we think that Summernote will be the best to integrate with Wappler :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I would vote 100 times for Summernote.

@JonL No, not to any decent conclusion. I got sidetracked onto all the other work but I still like the look of it.

1 Like

Don’t forget Quill and Trumbowyg

1 Like

Slate and Quill are my preferred options. If only there was a way for us to build these into Wappler ourselves. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Summernote is very cool

1 Like

Summernote editor is now available in Wappler:

1 Like