A Docker analogy

I need my title changed to Docker Ambassador.

7 Likes

cPanel for Docker?
[https://features.cpanel.net/topic/dockerio-support](http://from CPanel topic Application Container Support)

@Howard, how does that article help? All it talks about is how CPanel is NOT available for docker.

Interesting article about Docker security risks, I just found another very detailed article about Docker security best practices: https://www.stackrox.com/post/2019/09/docker-security-101/.

1 Like

@JonL, it might be better to do a complete comparison, rather than continuous promote Dockerā€™s ease of use and $5 monthly plan. I chose the $10 plan because that is the plan that most closely resembles the hosting plan that I currently have.

I appreciate you suggesting Managed VPS, such as Cloudways, but again, I would be paying more for less. After all, it comes down to cost and in this world, cost overrides all concerns, especially for small websites. After all, none of us are going to get the type of traffic that Facebook gets, so letā€™s keep it real.

I think it helps to squash any hopes of cPanel/WHM integration with Docker.

I checked just to see if they really had an old implementation.

I have a RHEL cPanel/WHM bare metal server. Theoretically I can do what I want with it but setting up a Docker machine is beyond me.

@Howard makes sense, I thought you were posting it as a solution. When I was doing my research, I looked at https://hub.docker.com/r/akel/cpanel-docker

Sounds interesting. What should I compare?

Scott,

It all depends on the needs of the websites you build.

If you are building small websites and have very light load and traffic, small databases and also need domain and email handling - you should definitely use fantastic solutions like Plesk and cPanel to handle them all in.

However if your web sites are getting more heavy load and need more a server on their own and donā€™t want to be bothered by sharing the same web server and database, then you should consider docker cloud hosting.

Also note that you can just use both solutions - start small with shared hosting and keep there the regular stuff like domains and email but when the website/app/api need to scale just get it out and put it on its own server with docker. Just redirect the hostname in the dns to its ip and you are done.

You can also do combination - on the same docker server you can run indeed a few services and websites, it doesnā€™t have to be just one. But no more than a few otherwise you will have the same slowdown as too many sites on a shared hosting.

So docker is not a replacement of regular hosting - it is just a natural addition when you are scaling up.

Docker gives you much more control by enforcing separation of concerns that pays off when scaling up and moving more to Microservices architecture and its fit to Docker

So it is all natural evolution. And again if you have just small web sites running perfectly on shared webhosting - just stick with it! Docker will be definately an overkill there. Iā€™m sure @JonL will agree to that

There is also another solution to have on the same host Plesk, as you probably have it now, but also install Docker in Plesk

Just as you can have Git in Plesk

Both great options to start with better publishing of your sites than just FTP. and giving you more version control and easy rollback posibilities.

Iā€™m sure there are similar solutions to cPanel as well.

PS. Having docker for Local Development is a different story and a must to replace those WAMP/XAMP solutions.

3 Likes

I came from bubble testing Wappler, I looked for a few days and couldnā€™t be bothered with all the server stuff.
2 months later I noticed talk about docker, I had no idea what it was or what it did but Iā€™m the forum I could understand that using it I could make a database somewhere on my computer and it was going to be a matter of clicking a few buttons.
Within an hour I had it up and running.
If it had of taken half an hour more Wappler would have gone back into the top hard basket.

The only thing I wish is that I didnā€™t have to run an application to create entities and tables
It would be amazing to do that from within Wappler

4 Likes

Hi Chad, this is also coming to Wappler soon :slight_smile:

4 Likes