7 Day Trial is too short

yes i have bought courses on wappler but still, it’s all outdated, i understand the tool is constantly changing and some things are changed for the good of the tool but why not document these new updates? There are tools like GitBook made just to help easy document your applications.

I hope the team and community take this as constructive criticism I don’t know if Wappler has a marketing team to but I think it would be interesting to think about it.

The tool seems to have huge potential but as I mentioned above seems to be made for a restricted group has been here since the beginning, but maybe the focus is really on keeping it more restricted so if that’s it, disregard what I wrote.

Thanks for that! :joy:

Did you guys get sidetracked?

This indeed was my experience, I set aside a week to learn the program. I think your point about keeping the time restricted has good grounding as that was my experience. An additional 7 days is likely to be a better sweet spot than where it is currently.

1 Like

Yes - priorities :slight_smile:

1 Like

Damn priorities. Always getting in the middle!

I have to laugh at the absurdity of this thread. I’m in the same boat as the OP. I started the 7-day trial, then got sidetracked by various other business priorities and now the trial is over. I really don’t care about paying the $39, it’s like whatever. However, I also feel that the justification for the 7-day trial is completely ridiculous.

Could someone, starting from scratch, use Wappler to build a fully functioning web application in 30 days? I guess it’s possible, sure. But then what? They’re never going to change anything to the application in the future? No need to ever add any new fields, or create a new page? They’ll just live with this app, frozen in time forever, right? Or they’re going to manually edit the code each time? It’s just a silly argument. The value of Wappler is not just in the ability to build a site, it’s also in the ease of maintaining and adding to the site over time. If someone is using it for a commercial application that’s making money, then of course they’re going to buy a license, regardless of whether the trial is 7 days, 30 days or 90 days. They’re going to buy the license because the time saved using Wappler to maintain the application versus manually editing code would be massive. It would make no commercial sense to not buy the license.

@George, you could quell this endless debate by simply making it a 30-day trial, which is the industry standard that virtually all competing products offer. I guarantee you, it would not cost you a dime in lost revenue, and it would go a long way toward enhancing good will for new users.

14 day trial should be enough and it’s also industry standard.

4 Likes

Even Adobe is only 14 days. And that is for the entire Creative Cloud Suite! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, since Wappler projects are not tied to accounts like competing products, there is too many ways to beat the system.

Longer trial periods would have to have a limited feature set. Which obviously is not ideal either.

Fact is there is always people that will try and beat the system with trials. 7 days is enough of a deterrent to cut at least some of that down.

The number of trial days (7, 14, 30, 60, 90, 365) is arbitrary. The only downside to a longer trial period is that it creates a lag between the time a user first starts using a product and the first payment date. This lag is the ONLY reason to not offer a long trial period. Arguably, the longer the trial period, the greater the chance of acquiring and retaining a customer. This is why nowadays, every mattress company offers 365 day trial periods. The more a customer uses your product, the more dependent they become on it, and the less likely they are to switch to a competing product.

In this case, with a 7-day trial period, Wappler is losing a lot of customers who on principle, refuse to pay for the product before they’ve had the chance to fully evaluate it. Extending the trial period to 14 days would help. Extending it to 30 days would be even better. Extending it to 365 days would be better yet, but as I mentioned, this would create a one-year cash flow gap, thus it’s unrealistic. Also, the marginal rate of return decreases with each extension of the trial period. Thus, 14 days would be a lot better than 7 days, 30 days would be better than 14 days, but not as much of an improvement as going from 7 to 14, etc…

Your statement that “14 day trial should be enough” begs the question, enough for what? It’s certainly better than 7 days, but almost certainly not optimal in terms of maximizing revenue.

Not sure what you mean about “beating the system”. The only “system” here is the use of the software product. Once the trial expires, you can no longer use it. Thus, you get to keep whatever code you created, but you have no way of improving or updating the code in the future. As I mentioned, this is an unrealistic proposition for a commercial entity that’s using the code to generate revenue. If your website is making you money, of course you’re going to pay the yearly subscription in order to continue adding features and updates to maintain or increase that revenue.

I meant enough to trial all important features. Since I started with Wappler a few years ago I’ve seen the number of features double so it makes sense to increase the trialing period.

Regarding the financials I am assuming the team is doing what is best to keep everything heathy.

industry standard is more 30 days and a lot of SaaS follow a freemium model so except the boomers, most people expect not to be rush to trial anything. Thinking that users will do what you want because you decided it’s how it should be is not the way things work. Hire a decent marketing and product team and make choices based on users feedback (and not the guys here since beta) + make decisions on data not feelings. My 2 cents. This topic is very closed from the documentation / courses topic : old story and no real improvements… I would love someone here to explain me how having a longer trial will change your financials… most important KPI here are user acquisition cost and Churn / LTV… Having a longer trial period will not have any cost impact as your software does not consume any server ressources but for sure will help to convert…

1 Like

Agree on improving the documentation when new updates release. I believe most of people coming here because Wappler are promoting as ‘Visual Web App Creator’, which more make sense more non-coders user here are looking for more detailed & updated documentation.

I saw recent update are coming with use case documentation, however some people still can’t get the idea if it apply to different use case.

I saw very good suggestion here if you are open the documentation suggestion update to community also, I belive many wappler ambassador here would love to help Wappler team keep update the documentation.

Or maybe wappler can add something like tooltip that contain short explanation and link to the references. Saw it on some feature here, but not all.

I think @brad maybe referring to the fact that you could potentially keep registering free trials and importing the project. I guess two things would stop that, on a free trial don’t allow a user to import projects (not sure how you would stop that though since you could just overwrite the project files of a new project). Having a shorter trial helps stop that as it becomes a pain to keep doing that every 7 days instead of every month.

I think increasing the trial would be a great idea, however I do understand the concerns as this isnt a SAAS product like Bubble, Adalo, Softr etc technically people could get by using free trials. However I do also think that those users probably wouldn’t ever pay for Wappler in the first place so I do think that there would be more users onboarded with a longer trial personally.

2 Likes

Can I throw another possible solution into the mix?

How about the trial has some kind of limitation which doesn’t prevent trying it out and confirming it will do what you want but it won’t allow you to produce a finished product? A bit like a watermark that might be placed on output from a graphics or presentation program.

I don’t know how easy or secure this would be but it might be worth considering. Then the trial could be increased to something like 30 days. You couldn’t let it run longer otherwise you could work on a large project using the trial and only actually pay for it when you’re ready to launch it. Unless you could prevent working with a project made with the trial version from being brought into the licensed version and published.

Worth thinking about?

As George explained a few days ago:

1 Like

Agree 100%

I would be happy to pay for a year if it brought down my monthly charge, just food for thought.

Hey @gunnery,
When you pay for the whole year, you get two months free.

did not know that :slight_smile: