What Limitations Could I Reach in Terms of Flows Created in One Design?

The more I use flows, the more situations I find where I want to use them.

Are there any practical limitations I may find in terms of the number and size of them that I have defined in my design?

I know these things are hard to quantify, but I’d be interested to hear if there are any measures I can take of how much resource of some kind they are using and how close I may be to that limit.

Thanks!

Antony.

1 Like

@Antony can you describe a few examples of where and why you use flows? I haven’t really understood them yet and am curious to know more. You seem to have caught the bug and yet I am still in the dark about them. Cheers

2 Likes

Hey Neil, no problem!

Having seen a few screen shots of what you are doing, I suspect you could get the bug too. :slight_smile:

Well here are a few situations:

• Multiple on-click actions
    Anywhere where you have an on-click event that runs more than one action, that could be put in a flow. Not so necessary if there is only one place that occurance happens, but if similar combinations of things are being run when different things are clicked on, that can be really useful. I have a massive system managing which parts of my app are visible at any one time which uses that.

• Managing a Data Store.
    I have a data store which replicates my contacts data from the database. I use several flows to manage that replication process. I then use the data store for some sophisticated searches and list creation via fields in each record called is_searched and is_selected using flows.

• Managing Deletion
    I have to be careful what I let people delete as it can mess up the database integrity, so I use some flows to search the database for the use of the thing to be deleted and then offer a modal where they can either delete or be told they can’t delete.

• At login
    Since users login via the login or the signup pages, whatever you want to load a login is best done in a flow.

• Any If/then/else Situation
    Basically if you want to do something conditionally beyond the simple variable.value==0?this:that situation then they are really helpful.

I wrote a post on one of my flows last week - see below for details.

I hope that helps!

Best wishes,
Antony. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We need to add a new badge here, “Flow Master” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:nerd_face:

And the helpful runJS function for when you need something extra :grinning:

I suppose it would depend on your client’s system as to how many flows they can handle, plus your server/db if you’re integrating server actions. I would suspect many hundreds of Flow’s could be used on a page if they don’t all run simultaneously.

1 Like

Haha I agree. I already voted @Antony :slight_smile:

Nice question @UKRiggers, this way @Antony had the opportunity to explain how great flows are.

2 Likes